Chinese super computer faster than 338 MILLION ordinary PCs put together
The Tianhe-2, 'Milky Way' is capable of 33.86 petaflops per second
China has overtaken the United States with the construction of the world's fastest supercomputer. The Tianhe-2, whose name translates to "Milky Way," is almost twice as fast as the previous U.S. record holder . with speeds equivalent to more than an astonishing 338 million normal PCs.
The Chinese said it intends to install the Tianhe-2 equipment at the National Supercomputer Center in Guangzhou, China where it will be used for "research and education."
The most recent results were published in the TOP500 report, an official bi-annual listing of the world's faster supercomputers.
1. Tianhe-2 - China
2. Titan - U.S.
3. Sequoia - U.S.
4. K computer - Japan
5. Mira - U.S.
6. Stampede - U.S.
7. Juqueen - Germany
8. Vulcan - U.S.
9. SuperMuc - Germany
10. Tianhe-1A - China
According to this list, the U.S, dominates the top ten with computers in second, third, fifth, sixth and eighth place. Japan's K computer is in fourth spot, while Germany's Juqueen and SuperMuc are in seventh and ninth place, while Tianhe-2's predecessor, Tianhe-1A, is tenth.
The Tianhe-1A came in first in November 2010. Japan's K computer overtook in 2011.
Each computer on the list was tested against the Linpack benchmark, which is used as a "yardstick of performance" and was chosen because it is widely used across all relevant systems.
The Chinese said it intends to install the Tianhe-2 equipment at the National Supercomputer Center in Guangzhou, China where it will be used for "research and education." Supercomputers such as the Tianhe-2 are used for simulating nuclear explosions and designing jetliners.
The Tianhe-2 knocked the U.S. Department of Energy's Titan machine off the number one spot, which only achieved 17.59 petaflops per second.
The Chinese government sponsored the project and doesn't expect the computer to be fully functional until 2015.
"Most of the features of the system were developed in China, and they are only using Intel for the main compute part," TOP500 editor Jack Dongarra says.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?