Wrapped up in brown paper: the new stealth bomber!
World's first unmanned, robot aircraft piloted by artificial intelligence to be unwrapped shortly
Adorned in brown butcher paper like a crudely wrapped present, this package is in all actuality the world's first unmanned, robot aircraft piloted by artificial intelligence. The stealth drone was slowly pulled on to an aircraft elevator from the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush.
Adorned in brown butcher paper like a crudely wrapped present, this package is in all actuality the world's first unmanned, robot aircraft piloted by artificial intelligence.
The U.S. military's latest robot weapon, the stealth comes at a time of heightened fears that the handing over of warfare to artificial intelligence could lead to unforeseen consequences.
The difference between the X-47B and previous drones is that it will not be pilot movement by movement by a remote - like a remote control car would be. Instead, it will be controlled by a forearm-mounted box called the "Control Display Unit" which can independently think for itself, plotting course corrections and charting new directions.
The stealth is the size of a jet fighter, yet without a tail fin, the stealth drone is produced by Northrop Grumman. The craft became controversial after it was mistaken for a genuine UFO as it was transported through Washington D.C. The stealth was built at a cost of $6.2 billion.
The USS George H.W. Bush, which will launch the bomber, is one of the Nimitz class of nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, the largest warships in the world and is longer than three football fields.
It will be a historic event, as no other former president has visited a carrier named after him. Former president Ronald Reagan was the first living ex-president to have a carrier named in his honor, but he was unable to visit the vessel before he died.
Bush had served two terms as Ronald Reagan's vice president when he was elected in 1988 to be the nation's 41st president. Bush has a long record of military service, beginning with his enlistment in the Navy in World War II and at one point, was the nation's youngest naval aviator.
Bush currently suffers from a form of Parkinson's disease that has forced him in recent years to use a motorized scooter or wheelchair for mobility.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Where you can watch the death of Comet ISON live as it happens
- Showtime for Comet ISON!
- Astronomers observe the biggest, and scariest event in the universe since the beginning of time
- Genetic sequence from 24,000-year-old boy is oldest genome from human to date
- Rocket launches record-setting 29 satellites into space, visible along entire Eastern U.S.
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?