EINSTEIN RULES! Theory passes major test
Scientists still looking for a new unifying theory.
Good news! The theory of gravity still works. The bad news is that on the subject of gravity, Einstein is wrong but, nobody know precisely where or why. A new test demonstrates that so far, his theory works, leaving scientists baffled.
Einstein's theory has been proven true time and time again. In the latest test, astronomers examined a binary star system - that is two stars which orbit one another. The system is a unique pair consisting of a white dwarf star, many times smaller than our sun, and a pulsar, which is the core of a dead star that is spinning 25 times per second.
As the two stars orbit one another, Einstein's theory predicts that their orbiting should speed up over time, by about one eight-millionth of a second per year. After watching the system, scientists measured precisely that.
Although the findings vindicate Einstein, they only deepen the mystery for researchers. You see, although Einstein makes sense at the macro-scale, his theory breaks down at the micro scale. For example, his theory predicts that black holes eventually attain infinite mass and therefore infinitely warp the space-time around them. Yet, we know this is impossible.
Infinity is a human concept that is impossible in the physical realm. We use the word to describe scales that are impossible to grasp by human standards of measurement. We know Einstein's theory breaks down somewhere, we just don't know exactly where, or why.
If the break could be found, it would lead to a whole new theory of gravity. More importantly, it would unify the realms of macro and the micro in physics.
So far, the break remains elusive. Until then, Einstein rules.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?