Private space rocket launches and lands vertically, to Johnny Cash song
Space X Grasshopper demonstrates its impressive capability.
You can't help but be impressed with this new video from Space X, demonstrating the capability of their new, reusable Grasshopper rocket prototype. The company in an unusual show of bravado set their video to the music of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire."
The demonstration marks a step forward for the company that is seeking a way to get people and material cheaply into space.
Current rocket designs use stages which fall off as their fuel is expended and burn up during reentry. This makes a rocket an expensive, disposable commodity. However, a rocket that can both take off and land in one piece would become a reusable commodity, and this slash the cost needed to reach orbit.
The video itself, produced by Space X, is both entertaining and impressive. Spaceflight aficionados will be amazed at the unprecedented sight of a rocket landing vertically on the same launch pad from whence it came.
The video features the Grasshopper Vertical Takeoff Vertical Landing (VTVL) vehicle. The latest demonstration triples its previous record and further flights will go yet farther.
To be fair, this is not the first successful flight of a reusable vertical takeoff and landing rocket in history, however the flight does set a height record for its brand and for being set to Johnny Cash. The milestone is significant for those seeking a less expensive way to achieve spaceflight.
There is no word on what soundtracks future flights will use.
UPDATE: An earlier version of this article suggested the current flight set an overall altitude record for the vertical takeoff and landing of a rocket. This is inaccurate. A previous record from the Delta Clipper (DC-XA) still stands at 2,500 meters.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Where you can watch the death of Comet ISON live as it happens
- Astronomers observe the biggest, and scariest event in the universe since the beginning of time
- Showtime for Comet ISON!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?