Want to hijack a plane? There's an app for that
Hacker says he has a phone app that can hijack planes.
A computer hacker and security consultant, who goes by the name Hugo Teso, says he can now hijack your flight in midair, just by using an Android app. Yep, there's now an app for that.
Teso isn't trying to bring the world of aviation down however, but instead is using the app to demonstrate a glaring flaw in aviation security. Specifically that aircraft communications systems have no authentication or encryption in place. This means anyone with the right software and equipment can take control of a plane in mid-flight.
Teso is also a trained commercial pilot and he told a shocked audience at the Hack the Box security conference in Amsterdam that he can hack a plane in mid-flight using his phone.
The app was tested using virtual planes in a lab. Teso explained that testing the app with actual aircraft would be "too dangerous and unethical."
He also said he could cause a crash by various means including causing two aircraft to collide in midair. Other systems, such as the emergency oxygen masks could be activated to cause panic.
A pilot, he said, could thwart the attack by taking the plane off autopilot, however many new systems don't even include manual controls. He explained that some systems could be updated to patch the vulnerability, but some older systems would be impossible to fix.
There is no response yet from aviation officials and aircraft manufacturers, but it is clear that a serious security flaw exists. We should be thankful that it was a security consultant and not a malevolent hacker that found it first.
Unfortunately, now that the world knows about this vulnerability, it's hard to avoid imagining a team of hackers working feverishly to build their own version within days. Let's hope there's a team of security professionals working just as hard for the good guys.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Mars One may stage ultimate anti-reality show where particpants vie to be voted OFF the planet to their demise
- NASA releases images of mysterious hexagon on Saturn
- Stanford researchers develop a way to literally read minds
- Report reveals FBI can remotely scan your computer without your knowledge
- Evidence of an ancient freshwater lake on Mars discovered
- Ultra-secret, Area-51 spy plane finally revealed to the public
- Micro-spacecraft plans to land on moon in 2015
- Mysterious object blurs the distinction between planets and stars
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?