Check this out! Two amazing comets, Southern Lights captured on film
Time lapse video shows comets Lemmon and PanSTARRS int he Southern skies.
It's almost time to do some comet-gazing. A pair of naked-eye comets are inching their way across the sky in the Southern hemisphere and one will soon be visible in the North.
Both comets were recently photographed and a series of beautiful time-lapse images show them along with a spectacular display of the Southern Lights. Check out that video here. The images were captured and posted by Alex Cherney.
Comet Lemmon is the one that many will want to see because it is definitely the more colorful of the pair. Glowing with a blue-green light, Lemmon is made up of cyanogen gas and diatomic carbon, both chemicals which are common in comets. When the chemicals are present in high enough concentrations the dust and gas will reflect light in the blue-green spectrum.
Unfortunately for observers in the northern hemisphere, comet Lemmon will not be visible with the naked eye in the northern hemisphere. As it recedes from Earth in march, it will be visible later in the month to observers around the world with telescopes.
However, northern hemisphere observers will be getting an amazing treat with comet PanSTARRS in March. That comet is already visible to the naked eye and is expected to brighten as it moves north in the sky.
The comet will first be visible to observers in the northern hemisphere on the night of March 7th. To view it, you will need an unobstructed view to the west immediately after sunset. The comet will follow the sun below the horizon, but will rise a little higher each night.
It should remain visible thought the month of March, climbing high into the sky where it can be easily spotted. To the naked eye, it will look like a fuzzy patch of light.
Of course, this is just a prelude to the much anticipated main event in November. That's when comet ISON will be visible in the northern hemisphere. That comet may be so bright that it will be visible in daylight, rivaling the brightness of the moon - if predictions hold true.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?