Curiosity Rover discovers mysterious chunk of 'alien' metal on Mars
Scientists may not stop to evaluate the origin of the mysterious object
The Curiosity Mars Rover has discovered a strange chunk of twisted metal on Mars, but NASA scientists aren't sure what it is, and they may not investigate it. Curiosity snapped the image on January 30, and the metal object appears to stick out of the ground by about a half-centimeter.
There are multiple sources that could explain the origin of the metal. The most likely explanation is that it is a piece of a meteorite. Meteorites composed of iron ore are common in the solar system and have been known to people on Earth since ancient times. Finding an iron meteorite on Mars then, would not be too much of a surprise, although seeing it in pristine condition, sans rust, would be.
Alternatively, the metal could have shed from the Curiosity's landing system and embedded itself in the ground, however this appears unlikely because the ground does not show any evidence of a recent disturbance. It is not yet understood if the metal has been found along the possible debris path of the landing rover.
It that is true, then it would technically be alien in origin, because on Mars, we're the aliens.
NASA scientists have also hypothesized that it could simply be a chunk of exposed iron ore, native to the planet. Again, such exposed ore would eventually rust. Also worth asking, why is this the only piece of exposed metal NASA has observed in the better part of a decade of roving the surface of Mars?
Elisabetta Bonora of Alive Universe Images, has reviewed the image, and taken into account the number of pixels the metal takes up and combined with the distance from the rover, suggests the chunk could actually be up to a foot long underneath the surface.
Let's hope NASA makes the detour to study the enigmatic object. It would be a shame after all the trouble we went through to get there to leave it a mystery for generations to come.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Where you can watch the death of Comet ISON live as it happens
- Astronomers observe the biggest, and scariest event in the universe since the beginning of time
- Showtime for Comet ISON!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?