Please HELP ME! Why I should quit Facebook, but can't
Social network to start recording GPS data, even when off.
Facebook plans to start tracking all user's movements starting in March. It will initiate this "service" without your permission, because users have already given permission for Facebook to do so. The service will be always on, even if the app is off, and will share your location data with Facebook, enabling them to serve you ads for nearby businesses.
A remake of 1984 with Zuckerberg as Big Brother would be pretty priceless.
Users should already know that every post you make to Facebook is saved on their servers, even if you later go back and delete it. Facebook also has full usage rights to your photos, and it does not have to compensate you for their use.
Facebook knows where you go, who you like, if you're single or married. It can tell if you're a racist, or if you secretly like Nickelback or Justin Bieber songs. Facebook even knows if you're having an affair with a coworker. Facebook is a stalker and it sells your information every day to drive up its share price and finance new endeavors into your privacy. Worst of all, you can't stop them, nor do you want to.
Millions of Americans are exposing themselves more intimately to Facebook than they do their partners in marriage. It's a dangerous precedent and it's becoming more intrusive with each "upgrade."
The current new offering will track your location and serve you ads related to nearby businesses. Facebook says the data will be deleted, only to be replaced with newer data, but do we ever believe anyone who promises to delete something we don't want them to have anymore?
The technology that Facebook is employing isn't new, and in some cases users may find it useful. After all, it will be nice to log into Facebook to know where the closest sushi bar is in the city I'm visiting. Despite the value however, I do not want Facebook to know that I sneak off for ice cream with my daughter on Wednesday afternoons or that I skipped Mass one Sunday to visit some friends in another city.
Such things are between myself and God, and those I choose to interact with. My privacy should not be treated as a nut to crack within which there is gold to be had for someone else.
This is why I deactivated my Facebook account (again) yesterday. Unfortunately, there's a good chance it will soon be reactivated. Why? Because my natural narcissism and curiosity tend to kick in.
Hopefully, I will have the strength to tell Big Brother that I do not love him anymore and that I won't be coming back, even if it constitutes as serious thought crime to think so.
Let's hope by then Facebook hasn't built its Ministry of Love to correct the error of my thinking.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Facebook, always on, search, graph search, creepy, stalker, GPS, app, deactivate
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- California teenager invents device that can charge cell phone in 20 seconds - flat
- MULTIVERSE DISCOVERY - First solid proof of other universes besides ours
- Comet ISON may spark unprecedented meteor shower
- 'May God's love be with you' - First music video made in space!
- Solar cataclysm! Sun threatens Earth with possible geomagnetic storm
- Windows 8 goes sour as company announces U-turn
- Online retail giant Amazon begins virtual coin collection
- Carbon dioxide levels could have devastating consequences for civilization
- Did God make junk? Scientists say 98 percent of human genome is junk
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?