Pack your bags, we're moving! Scientists say Earth is uninhabitable
Impact to property values unknown.
You might want to sit down for this, we have some bad news for you and your property value. According to our finest boffins, Earth is uninhabitable. It's tragic because Earth is where we live and keep all of our stuff, so it's hard to say what we're going to do with ourselves now.
Sorry, you can't live here...the scientists have spoken.
This habitable zone is also referred to as the "Goldilocks zone" because conditions are "just right" for liquid water.
Since liquid water is considered by many to be a prerequisite for life, a planet which exists outside of the zone is in trouble, if it aspires to life.
Unfortunately, Earth, the one planet where we once thought life was common, lies outside of the habitable zone. Indeed, the proclamation is so bold that it stretches credulity.
Still, researchers working within the Penn State Department of Geosciences have issued a straight-laced news release saying they have redefined the habitable zone based on models built by other researchers, and April 1st is still months away.
For astronomers, knowing the dimensions of a star's habitable zone is important because it tells precisely where they should look for planets which could possibly support life.
The researchers insist they are serious and say that according to the new model, Earth lies just outside the Sun's habitable zone, by a mere one million kilometers. We actually live, according to the model, just outside the warm edge of the zone. They say it's our clouds that keep the planet habitable, reflecting solar radiation that would otherwise bake the planet to a crisp.
What a relief!
While we might beg to differ with them and point out an obvious empirical objection to the limits of their model, we should probably just refrain. After all, we're not scientists. Instead we have bigger issues to worry about -- property values on Earth just tanked, and we should start packing before everybody else gets the word. Mars is only so big!
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Penn State, habitable zone, goldilocks zone, Earth, uninhabitable
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- ETERNAL LIFE? Human minds will be uploaded to super computers in next generation
- Chinese super computer faster than 338 MILLION ordinary PCs put together
- Priest hopes to reach the faithful with 'My Confessor' app
- Water-ice clouds in Martian skies may explain temperature changes
- German-born man took to skies -- two years before the Wright Brothers
- Gamma Delphinids: Mysterious meteor shower may return tonight
- BAD Apple: Computer giant BANNED from selling popular models over patent violation
- 'Anonymous' hackers to launch news nework without any Kardashian or Beiber news
- Three Triceratops remains discovered on Wyoming ranch
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?