Phone-booth sized camera built to see...
Astronomers want to measure Dark Energy.
Astronomers, using a camera the size of a phone booth, have a tough assignment. Armed with a 570 million-pixel camera, they must photograph 300 million individual galaxies within the next five years.
The project they're working on is known as the Dark Energy Survey and their goal is to understand the nature of dark energy, which is theorized to be the force responsible for the rapid expansion of the universe. According to their best understanding, the universe is expanding and it is unclear why.
Dark energy is the name given to the force that is causing the expansion. Just what it is, remains unclear.
The giant camera is presently mounted on the four-meter Victor M. Blanco telescope at the Cerro Tolodo Inter-American Observatory, situated in Chile's Atacama desert.
The camera is arguably one of the world's most powerful and sensitive photographic devices and it is calibrated to see very distant and very faint objects.
Dark energy is thought to comprise up to 73 percent of the mass in the universe. It was Albert Einstein who demonstrated with his famous question, E=MC2, that energy and mass are interchangeable.
The things we can easily see in the visible spectrum, meaning normal matter, are thought to represent just 4 percent of the matter in the universe!
The remaining 23 percent of the universe is thought to be made of dark matter, material that exists but cannot be directly observed.
Astronomers hope to study the light from these distant galaxies and take careful measurements of their distance and movement. Using this data, they can both map and measure the universe and the amount of energy acting on these objects.
For now, astronomers have just tested the camera and scope. They will begin the actual survey in December when it is summertime in the high Chilean desert.
READ MORE: Why did Einstein cheated on his theory?
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Mysterious object blurs the distinction between planets and stars
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Where you can watch the death of Comet ISON live as it happens
- Astronomers observe the biggest, and scariest event in the universe since the beginning of time
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?