How to make a quick and easy $30 million
A good idea if you have nothing else to do today...
Do you want to make a quick and easy $30 million? Here's all you need to do: design and build a moon rocket that can put a lunar rover (also of your own design and construction) on the surface of the moon to take pictures of the original Apollo landing sites, and get it all done by the end of 2015. Accomplish this and a cool $30 million can be yours.
There's a bonus for pictures of the Apollo sites.
However, the competition isn't without its caveats. NASA guidelines forbid the intrepid new explorers from disturbing the sites, including the footprints of the astronauts. All the teams have agreed to play by those guidelines.
X Prizes are large cash awards that are put up by private sponsors to attract private innovation in a variety of fields, including health, poverty reduction, robotics, and spaceflight. So far, the incentives have worked.
Development of private innovation for many of these fields is important because governments, particularly in the United States, are enduring a period of prolonged austerity and no longer have the money, or even the national will, to develop the next generation of advanced technologies. However, this merely opens the door of opportunity to the private sector, who can arguably do a better job than the government for a variety of reasons.
The use of prizes to incentivize innovation isn't new. Many people know that Charles Lindbergh made the first solo flight across the Atlantic to earn a prize and British Parliament passed the Longitude Act of 1714 which awarded prizes to facilitate innovation in the field of navigation.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: X-prize, foundation, Google X prize, moon, incentive
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Chinese super computer faster than 338 MILLION ordinary PCs put together
- Priest hopes to reach the faithful with 'My Confessor' app
- Water-ice clouds in Martian skies may explain temperature changes
- German-born man took to skies -- two years before the Wright Brothers
- Gamma Delphinids: Mysterious meteor shower may return tonight
- BAD Apple: Computer giant BANNED from selling popular models over patent violation
- 'Anonymous' hackers to launch news nework without any Kardashian or Beiber news
- Three Triceratops remains discovered on Wyoming ranch
- Amazing, smallest yet alien planet photographed
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?