Team Dominican Republic emerges victorious in World Baseball Classic
Dominicans scored victories over Venezuela, Spain, Italy, U.S. and Netherlands
Team Dominican Republic has won the 2013 World Baseball Classic. The Dominicans rolled through the event undefeated, claiming victory against Venezuela, Spain, Italy, the U.S. and the Netherlands on their way to claiming the WBC crown.
The Dominican Republic's Samuel Deduno pitches against Puerto Rico during the first inning of the championship game of the World Baseball Classic in San Francisco, on Tuesday, March 19, 2013.
Dominican starter Samuel Deduno delivered five scoreless innings in the 3-0 win, allowing only two Puerto Rican hits while fanning five. Deduno yielded one earned run in 13 World Baseball Classic innings. Deduno was followed by Dominican relievers Octavio Dotel, Pedro Strop, Santiago Casilla and Fernando Rodney. All contributed scoreless frames.
Edwin Encarnacion played the biggest role on offense in the championship game, smacking a tone-setting two-run double in the bottom of the first inning after Team Puerto Rico decided to intentionally walk the batter in front of him, Robinson Cano. Cano was 0-for-3 on the night but had a massively productive tournament.
Team Japan was crowned WBC champion in 2006 and 2009 - but lost in the semifinals this year.
Dominicans took the opportunity for rejoicing. Cheers of "Dominicana! Dominicana!" rang out through the rain at AT&T Park all the way to the lively streets of Santo Domingo.
The Dominican fans -- fanaticos, indeed -- didn't let the Bay Area's wet weather keep them from dancing in the stands, waving flags and tooting horns. Flags became make-shift ponchos.
It was fitting, too, perhaps, considering the World Series champion Giants clinched the NL pennant against the Cardinals in a downpour on this very field last fall.
Some 50,000 more supporters gathered to watch on giant televisions inside and outside of Estadio Quisqueya in the Dominican capital city.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Team Dominica, 2013 World Baseball Classic, baseball, Samuel Deduno
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Sports News
- Unprecedented kindness - Boston Marathon to call back runners who couldn't finish
- Soccer superstar David Beckham hits the showers - for good
- Former L.A. Lakers player Vlade Divac visits Swiss Guard at the Vatican
- Amazing video of 30 Canadian skiers back flipping while holding hands goes viral
- Sports broadcaster Pat Summerall dies at 82
- Team Dominican Republic emerges victorious in World Baseball Classic
- Nation gearing up for Super Bowl XLVII, sporting event of firsts
- Obama would change the way football is played
- Will the public accept cyclist Lance Armstrong's 'crocodile tears?'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?