Catholics opening their homes to Olympic families
Church is driving the effort to accommodate the families of athletes.
In a few days the world will turn its attention to the Olympic athletes in London with all the pageantry and spectacle of the games. However, there will be another, perhaps less noticed participant that will be performing feats of its own - the Catholic Church.
According to the Archbishop, the More than Gold campaign will open homes to visitors to accommodate hundreds of people, all members of various athletes' families. Naturally, finding accommodations in London is a costly and virtually impossible affair so that many families would not be able to watch their loved ones compete without the generosity of Catholic parishioners. Coordinated through the Church, Catholic parishioners will host hundreds in their homes. The gesture will keep families together during the games.
In addition, parishes will be opening their facilities so that local youth who are volunteering to help with the games will have a place to view the games as they are televised.
According to the Archbishop, the Church recently organized a large event for the country's youth in which he told Vatican Insider that 8-9 thousand people participated. "It was called 'The Flame' and offered the chance to speak about the flame of faith," the Archbishop said. "Some Olympic athletes also took part; they explained how their Christian faith was integral part of their work as athletes."
As part of a larger ongoing initiative, the Archbishop also explained how Catholic schools and parishes were organizing youth sports activities to give kids an alternative to the streets, particularly in what he characterized as "difficult" neighborhoods.
Finally, the Archbishop added that there would be an opening mass in the Westminster Cathedral on July 28th.
The full interview with the Archbishop can be found here via the Vatican Insider.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Sports News
- Seminarians bring American football to Rome for Thanksgiving
- Boxing legend Ken Norton dies at 70
- Prince Amukamara shows what it means to be a Catholic athlete
- GOLF: The Sublime Askernish. Deal W. Hudson Wins the Askernish Open
- TRIUMPH: Diana Nyad becomes first swimmer to cross Cuba to Florida without shark cage
- Homosexual crackdown in Russia now extending to Olympic athletes
- NFL Player Adrian Peterson says he doesn't support same sex marriage
- Unprecedented kindness - Boston Marathon to call back runners who couldn't finish
- Soccer superstar David Beckham hits the showers - for good
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?