Catholic Athletes for Christ and Christina Wirth: Growing in Faith Through Basketball
the truth of Jesus Christ to a world that is in desperate need of hope,\" said Christina. \"I feel personally challenged by their lives to use every opportunity I have to serve, to love, and to spread truth and hope to those I meet.\"
Christina acknowledges the pitfalls to spiritual growth that are in the athletic world, and realizes she must deal with them. \"As an athlete, coaches are always telling you to \'take pride in what you do,\'\" she said. \"While there is a certain kind of pride that can be good and even healthy, there is a fine line between that kind of pride and a sinful kind of pride that is the opposite of the virtue of humility. When you have success and people are praising you or telling you how great you are, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that you have accomplished that success on your own, when, in reality, God is the source of all good things. Without God, we cannot take our next breath. Without God, we would have none of the talents that we have. I am constantly asking God to keep me humble and to remind me that without Him, I am nothing.\"
Christina\'s gifts and goals extend beyond the basketball court. She took a leave of absence from Vanderbilt\'s School of Nursing when the opportunity to play professional basketball arose. A call to minister to both the corporal and spiritual needs of God\'s people seems evident, and Christina is ready to give her whole heart to whatever path God places in front of her. This is evident in her advice to young Catholic athletes.
\"Stay close to the sacraments,\" she counsels, \"because there is no greater source of grace and strength. Always train and compete hard in order to win in your sport, but more importantly, ask God for the grace to grow spiritually so that you may spend eternity with Him.\"
James Penrice is a contributor to Catholic Online, and a correspondent for Catholic Athletes for Christ.
- - -
Catholic Athletes for Christ (CAC) serves Catholic athletes in the practice of their faith and shares the Gospel in and through sports.
Keywords: athletics, sports, Christian witness, Catholic Athletes for Christ, Christina Wirth, James Penrice
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Sports News
- Unprecedented kindness - Boston Marathon to call back runners who couldn't finish
- Soccer superstar David Beckham hits the showers - for good
- Former L.A. Lakers player Vlade Divac visits Swiss Guard at the Vatican
- Amazing video of 30 Canadian skiers back flipping while holding hands goes viral
- Sports broadcaster Pat Summerall dies at 82
- Team Dominican Republic emerges victorious in World Baseball Classic
- Nation gearing up for Super Bowl XLVII, sporting event of firsts
- Obama would change the way football is played
- Will the public accept cyclist Lance Armstrong's 'crocodile tears?'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?