Bishop Slams Catholic Group Promoting Contraception
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
GLENVIEW, IL (December 29, 2009) - A group of young Catholics promoting a worldwide advertising campaign to push contraception “disown their Catholic heritage,” according to an outspoken Catholic bishop who will soon become the bishop of Milwaukee.
Young Catholics for Choice, part of the Washington, D.C.-based Catholics for Choice, has launched a television campaign in Wisconsin and has partnered with the Wisconsin Family Planning Health Services to promote condom use and the “morning after” pill. The national office has begun a website with the theme, “Good Catholics Use Condoms.” They plan is for ads to appear on bus shelters, subways, billboards and in newspapers around the world.
“While people can call themselves whatever they want, it is my duty as a bishop to state clearly and unequivocally that by professing and disseminating views in grave contradiction to Catholic teaching, members of organizations like ‘Young Catholics for Choice’ in fact disown their Catholic heritage, tragically distancing themselves from that communion with the Church to which they are called,” said the archbishop in a statement Dec. 15.
Bishop Listecki is an outspoken pro-life bishop, and in 2007 clashed with Catholics for Choice in opposing the Wisconsin legislature that supported a bill that would force Catholics hospitals to administer the morning after pill. The bill passed in 2008.
Morning-after Pill Causes Abortion
The morning-after pill works by causing an abortion of the newly-conceived life. The pill also threatens women’s health since its hormone dosage is ten times higher than that of normal birth control pills using the same hormone, according to FDA research.
Many couples dissatisfied with the side effects of hormonal birth control discover Natural Family Planning (NFP) as a healthy and moral alternative.
Classes in the Sympto-Thermal Method of Natural Family Planning are offered by the Couple to Couple League (CCL) to married and engaged couples, and can be taken at 15 locations in the Archdiocese of Chicago, IL and surrounding area, including southeast Milwaukee and northwest Indiana. A homestudy course is also available at CCL Central at www.ccli.org.
The next series of classes in northeast Illinois will begin Fri., Jan. 29, 2010 at 7:30 pm at Holy Family Hospital in Des Plaines. To register, and for a list of classes, go to www.ccli,org. Learn more at the Chicago CCL’s website at www.nfpchicago.com.
Couple to Couple League of Chicago
http://www.naturalfamilyplanningchicago.com/ IL, 60025 US
Monica Cassidy - Coordinator, 847 724-7206
Lay Orders & Ministries
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- A Catholic Assessment of Evolution Theory – An origins science enhancer
- Running for a Reason: Priest Takes on Ultramarathon
- The CatholicTV Network to air Ordination and Installation of Bishop-elect David John Walkowiak
- Brave and Steadfast at 2013 Catholic Charismatic Conference
- The CatholicTV Network to air Film, “Building on Faith: The Historic Churches of Detroit”
- Catholic Word Publisher Group Welcomes Novo Millennio Press Series
- Father Terence Henry, TOR, Appointed Chancellor of Franciscan University
- Pauline Books & Media Releases New Resource for Catholic Dads
- Angels and Saints at Ephesus sits atop Billboard’s Classical Traditional Music Chart for fourth week
- Vatican online 3D Virtual Tours