Papal agency calls for protection of religious believers’ rights following invasion of Ukraine
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NEW YORK, NY (March 4, 2014) - Aid to the Church in Need (ACN), an international Catholic agency serving the persecuted and suffering Church around the world, has called for the protection of Ukrainian clergy, believers and houses of worship of all faiths during the country’s period of grave political unrest.
Referring to a “deeply troubling environment of political destabilization,” ACNUSA’s Chairman of the Board George Marlin urged that “the human dignity and religious freedom of worshippers of all faiths must be safeguarded.”
“We condemn the violence visited upon the people of Ukraine,” Marlin said, adding that, “on behalf of all concerned Catholics, we pray that soon peace may prevail for all.”
Ukraine has been a priority country for ACN for many years. The agency’s ongoing aid programs have helped in particular the recovery of the country’s Greek Catholic Church, which suffered decades of relentless persecution under Soviet communist rule. Among other projects, the agency provides support for 1,000 seminarians.
For more information, please contact:
George J. Marlin is the Chairman of the Board of Aid to the Church in Need-USA. A former Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, he is the author of 11 books, including “The American Catholic Voter: 200 Years of Political Impact”.
Founded in 1947, Aid to the Church in Need is an international Catholic charity under the guidance of the Holy See, providing assistance to the suffering and persecuted Church in more than 140 countries. www.churchinneed.org
Aid to the Church in Need
http:// , 10027
Ukraine, religious freedom
International Archdiocese & Diocese
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- RENEW International Staff to Attend International Meeting Pastoral Project of “Evangelii Gaudium” a
- Little Sisters of the Poor to Receive Franciscan University's Poverello Medal
- Is Pope Francis for real?
- 18th Annual Carnival at St. Ann’s Parish
- The CatholicTV Network to Broadcast Blue Mass for Public Safety Personnel with Cardinal Seán O'Malle
- Back-to-School Blog Tour Highlights Catholic Children’s Literature
- New York, NY: Sat Sep 27th NYC Catholic Professionals Mass & Social
- Celebrate Christmas in Harvard Square
- Divine Mercy Saint Drama Comes to Williamsburg, Virginia
- America's First-Pro-Life Half Marathon/5K Set for Nov. 9