Bishop to Address Mission of Pope Francis
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (February 7, 2014) - Bishop Mark Bartchak of the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown will give a public address at Franciscan University of Steubenville on Tuesday, February 18. Titled “Pope Francis and Catholic Social Teaching: Principles, Spirituality, and Action,” his talk will take place at 7:00 p.m. in the Gentile Gallery of the J.C. Williams Center.
In preparing for his presentation, Bishop Bartchak notes that for many people, the Church’s social teaching seems like a best-kept secret. “I am encouraged by the number of people who are pleasantly surprised to discover what is at the heart of the Church’s social teaching,” says Bishop Bartchak.
“In his own unique way, Pope Francis has been drawing our attention to fundamental principles of the Church’s social teaching. He has also given some indications of a kind of spirituality and necessary action that make those principles come alive,” says Bishop Bartchak.
Bishop Bartchak’s presentation will draw upon two significant documents of Pope Francis, the encyclical letter Lumen Fidei and the Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium, as well as other statements of the Holy Father.
Ordained and installed as the eighth bishop of the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown in April 2011, Bishop Bartchak studied canon law at The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., where he received his licentiate degree in 1989 and his doctorate in 1992. He was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Erie on May 15, 1981. In 2000, he received papal honors from Pope John Paul II with the title of Chaplain to His Holiness.
Bishop Bartchak's talk is free and open to the public. He is speaking at Franciscan University at the invitation of President Father Sean O. Sheridan, TOR.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University of Steubenville, Catholic social teaching, Bishop Mark Bartchak
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- What if we told you Aquinas wasn’t all about philosophy?
- Meet the Woman Who Inspired Ludovico of Casoria, the Church's Newest Saint for the Poor
- Celebrating the Return of a Timeless Classic: The Beloved Queen of Apostles Prayer Book
- “JOY TO THE WORLD” THE 2014 DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CHRISTMAS CONCERT SERIES TOUR BEGINS DECEMBER 3
- Forty Catholic dioceses in effective schism?
- Meet a Medieval Pro-life Saint: Elizabeth of Hungary
- My Battle Against Hitler Blog Book Tour
- Hildebrand and the Third Reich
- Pray the rosary with your Sisters
- Something Other Than God nominated for Best Memoir & Autobiography in Goodreads 2014 Choice Awards