Bishop to Address Mission of Pope Francis
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (February 7, 2014) - Bishop Mark Bartchak of the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown will give a public address at Franciscan University of Steubenville on Tuesday, February 18. Titled “Pope Francis and Catholic Social Teaching: Principles, Spirituality, and Action,” his talk will take place at 7:00 p.m. in the Gentile Gallery of the J.C. Williams Center.
In preparing for his presentation, Bishop Bartchak notes that for many people, the Church’s social teaching seems like a best-kept secret. “I am encouraged by the number of people who are pleasantly surprised to discover what is at the heart of the Church’s social teaching,” says Bishop Bartchak.
“In his own unique way, Pope Francis has been drawing our attention to fundamental principles of the Church’s social teaching. He has also given some indications of a kind of spirituality and necessary action that make those principles come alive,” says Bishop Bartchak.
Bishop Bartchak’s presentation will draw upon two significant documents of Pope Francis, the encyclical letter Lumen Fidei and the Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium, as well as other statements of the Holy Father.
Ordained and installed as the eighth bishop of the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown in April 2011, Bishop Bartchak studied canon law at The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., where he received his licentiate degree in 1989 and his doctorate in 1992. He was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Erie on May 15, 1981. In 2000, he received papal honors from Pope John Paul II with the title of Chaplain to His Holiness.
Bishop Bartchak's talk is free and open to the public. He is speaking at Franciscan University at the invitation of President Father Sean O. Sheridan, TOR.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University of Steubenville, Catholic social teaching, Bishop Mark Bartchak
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- George Weigel on Evangelical Catholicism in Catholic Universities
- Frankfurt Book Fair 2014
- ‘Christmas in Harvard Square’ wows with impressive debut on Billboard charts
- Pontifical Low Mass (DVD & Booklet)
- Horrific tragedy inspires Catholic entrepreneur to create powerful novel
- Cardinal Raymond Burke: Synod’s mid-term report ‘lacks a solid foundation in the Sacred Scriptures'
- Little Sisters of the Poor Receive Franciscan University’s Poverello Medal
- Bring Mary of Nazareth home
- 'Encounter Milwaukee' to Reach Catholic Young Adults
- Pray for a G20 leader a day