Steubenville Atlanta Teens Package 100,000+ Meals for Africa
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (July 30, 2013) - During the weekend of July 19-21, more than 2,500 Franciscan University of Steubenville Youth Conference teens joined forces to feed the hungry of West Africa.
Held as part of the Steubenville Atlanta Youth Conference in Georgia, July 19-21, the youth packaged 100,386 meals in two hours. That total exceeded the original goal of 100,000 for the poor of Burkina Faso, Africa.
The Helping Hands Event was sponsored by Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and guided by the hunger relief program Stop Hunger Now. The youth volunteers worked in three groups of 650 for 30-minute shifts to package dehydrated, protein-rich, and highly nutritious meals.
“Pope Francis has said that he wants the Church to defend the poor. He reminds us that we are part of the universal Church, whose teachings and traditions transcend all boundaries,” said Joan Rosenhauer, executive vice president of U.S. Operations for CRS. “Catholic Relief Services is pleased to partner with Franciscan University and Steubenville Atlanta to host this Helping Hands Event.”
The high-energy atmosphere kept the teens excited as a gong rang out to signify packaging milestones—bringing cheers, singing, and celebration in the Gwinnett Convention Center.
The annual Steubenville Atlanta conference is one of 18 Franciscan University of Steubenville Summer Youth Conferences held throughout the United States and Canada that reach nearly 40,000 teens. The conferences include powerful speakers, praise and worship, eucharistic adoration, daily Mass, and the opportunity for confession. To watch videos of this summer’s talks or to find out more about Franciscan University of Steubenville’s Summer Youth Conferences, visit www.steubenville.org.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University of Steubenville, youth conferences, hunger relief
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- What if we told you Aquinas wasn’t all about philosophy?
- Meet the Woman Who Inspired Ludovico of Casoria, the Church's Newest Saint for the Poor
- Celebrating the Return of a Timeless Classic: The Beloved Queen of Apostles Prayer Book
- “JOY TO THE WORLD” THE 2014 DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CHRISTMAS CONCERT SERIES TOUR BEGINS DECEMBER 3
- Forty Catholic dioceses in effective schism?
- Meet a Medieval Pro-life Saint: Elizabeth of Hungary
- My Battle Against Hitler Blog Book Tour
- Hildebrand and the Third Reich
- Pray the rosary with your Sisters
- Something Other Than God nominated for Best Memoir & Autobiography in Goodreads 2014 Choice Awards