Restoring Society through Marriage and the Commandments
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (January 29, 2013) - The building blocks of society are crumbling beneath contemporary ideas of commitment, culture, and community. How can the two great commandments help us repair the foundation of modern society?
On Tuesday, February 19, at 7:30 p.m., Dr. Patrick Fagan will discuss this question in his talk, “The Fundamental Tasks of Society (and Your Own Life's Work).” His talk will be held in the Tony and Nina Gentile Gallery in the J.C. Williams Center at Franciscan University of Steubenville.
Fagan, the director of the Marriage and Religion Research Institute in Washington, D.C., says that marriage is the “fundamental social relationship for society, (and) all other functional relationships are dependent on it for their optimum functionality.
“In marriage one can find the totality of the spiritual life, the call to holiness, the way of the cross, the happiness of goodness and giving,” says Fagan, regarding his upcoming talk. “At the same time, both the economy and the governance of society are dependent on marriage. The family, the church, the school, the marketplace and government all depend on it being well lived.”
A native of Ireland and graduate of University College Dublin, Fagan has studied the impact of religion on marital stability and its influences on happiness, health, income, and educational attainment. He worked on family issues at the Free Congress Foundation and was appointed deputy assistant secretary for Family and Community Policy at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services by President George H.W. Bush.
Fagan’s talk is part of the spring 2013 Distinguished Speakers Series at Franciscan University, and is co-sponsored by the departments of Academic Affairs, Student Life, and Advancement. The talk is free and open to the public.
Through the Distinguished Speakers Series, Franciscan University hosts leaders whose integration of their faith and public life inspire the next generation to be a transforming presence in the Catholic Church and society.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://www.franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Dr. Patrick Fagan, marriage, Franciscan University of Steubenville, Steubenville, society
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Named a 2015 'Best Value' by Kiplinger's Personal Finance
- Franciscan University Faith Households Celebrate 40 Years
- Tolkien’s Christmas wish: limited government and a good movie?
- New Album Time Stands Still, Debuts with U.S. Tour
- What if we told you Aquinas wasn’t all about philosophy?
- Meet the Woman Who Inspired Ludovico of Casoria, the Church's Newest Saint for the Poor
- Celebrating the Return of a Timeless Classic: The Beloved Queen of Apostles Prayer Book
- “JOY TO THE WORLD” THE 2014 DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CHRISTMAS CONCERT SERIES TOUR BEGINS DECEMBER 3
- Forty Catholic dioceses in effective schism?
- Meet a Medieval Pro-life Saint: Elizabeth of Hungary