Dominican University's Siena Center to Host Screening of 'Band of Sisters'
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
River Forest, IL (January 8, 2013) - Dominican University's Siena Center will host a film screening and discussion of the documentary Band of Sisters on Thursday, January 31, at 6 p.m. in the Auditorium of Dominican's Priory Campus, 7200 West Division Street, River Forest. Band of Sisters, a film by Mary Fishman, tells the story of Catholic nuns and their work for social justice after Vatican II.
For Catholics who wonder what became of the nuns they knew in habits and convents many years ago, for activists who may feel profoundly discouraged given the problems of today's world, for women seeking equality in their church, and for people of all faiths yearning for an inclusive and contemplative spirituality, Band of Sisters challenges us to ask what really matters in life. As we seek what matters, how do we go about changing our lives and the world around us?
Sr. Diane Kennedy, OP, vice president for Mission and Ministry, and Sr. Bernadine Karge, OP, a practicing immigration attorney, will offer responses to the film.
Dominican students, faculty and staff are admitted free. Admission for members of the public is $5.
Dominican University established the St. Catherine of Siena Center to examine critical issues of church and society in the light of faith and scholarship. The center calls together members of the university community, professional ministers and the wider community of faith who are committed to deepening their insight into the role of the Christian in today's world.
http://www.dom.edu/newsroom/press/2013/january/article_0005.html IL, 60305 US
Dan Armstrong - Public Relations Manager, 708-524-6452
band of sisters, dominican, chicago, film, documentary, screening, fishman, karge
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- When Pope Francis Arrives in North America, There is Only One Network to Watch: EWTN Global Catholic
- The Synod on the Family: Addressing the Instrumentum Laboris
- GHIRELLI'S WORLD MEETING OF FAMILIES ROSARIES NOW AVAILABLE
- OCP Artist, Pedro Rubalcava, Writes Song for Pope Francis' Visit
- Pre-Synod Conference unites Cardinals and men and women living with homosexual tendencies
- The Rigging of a Vatican Synod
- 17 Cardinals and Counting
- 19th Annual Carnival Announced for St. Ann's Parish
- OCP Pledges to Support the V Encuentro
- The John Paul II International Film Festival Marks Its Five-Year Anniversary