St. Stephen Renovation
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OWENSBORO, KY (December 8, 2012) - In November of 2012, Granda completed renovation of the St. Stephen Cathedral in Owensboro, KY. Installed were new Blessed Sacrament chapel, custom tabernacle, sanctuary lamp, Holy Family Shrine, sanctuary seating, new Cathedra for the bishop, new baptismal font, altar, ambo, as well as new confessional and interior doors to the church. All artwork was crafted at Granda workshops in Alcala de Henares, Spain. Granda’s creative team also advised the building committee on matters such as lighting, wall treatment and flooring.
Founded in 1839 as St. Stephen parish, the attractive present church building was erected in 1924-26 and designated a cathedral in 1937. With the approaching 75th anniversary of founding of the Diocese of Owensboro, the Rector together with a handful of committed parishioners recognized an opportunity to mark the special occasion by investing into an interior that would more accurately express life and mission of the Cathedral.
Granda’s proposal for the Cathedral was inspired by an appreciation for high artistic standards as well as a sincere concern for the practical needs of the St. Stephen’s parish community. Both design and craftwork is firmly rooted in the conviction that post Vatican II norms for renovations of sanctuaries do not interfere with but rather enhance authentic and creative use of the traditional artistic styles.
http://www.ststephencathedral.org/ IL, 60642 US
Kinga Lipinska - Project Consultant,
cathedral, renovation, granda
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Role of Beauty Examined at 'Power of Beauty' Conference
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Named a 2015 'Best Value' by Kiplinger's Personal Finance
- Franciscan University Faith Households Celebrate 40 Years
- Tolkien’s Christmas wish: limited government and a good movie?
- New Album Time Stands Still, Debuts with U.S. Tour
- What if we told you Aquinas wasn’t all about philosophy?
- Meet the Woman Who Inspired Ludovico of Casoria, the Church's Newest Saint for the Poor
- Celebrating the Return of a Timeless Classic: The Beloved Queen of Apostles Prayer Book
- “JOY TO THE WORLD” THE 2014 DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CHRISTMAS CONCERT SERIES TOUR BEGINS DECEMBER 3
- Forty Catholic dioceses in effective schism?