Franciscan University Reacts to Removal of Chapel from City of Steubenville Logo
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (July 26, 2012) - Faced with the threat of an expensive lawsuit from the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc., a Madison, Wisconsin-based atheist group, the Steubenville City Council announced July 24 its intention to remove the image of the Franciscan University of Steubenville's chapel from the official city logo. The new logo was unveiled in December 2011.
Franciscan University reacted to the announcement with the following statement from Michael Hernon, vice president of Advancement:
"For more than 65 years, Franciscan University of Steubenville has proudly served as an integral part of this community and we were honored to have our chapel included in the new city of Steubenville logo. The city initially included our chapel because it represents Franciscan University, a world-renowned center of higher learning and one of the largest employers in the region. We find it particularly troubling that an out of town and out of touch group targeted the University for removal from the logo solely because of our religious identity.
"Now that the city has decided not to keep the chapel in its logo, the University has declined the city's offer to be represented by another campus building. The Christ the King Chapel and its cross, which are the centerpiece of the University logo, are internationally recognized symbols of the campus here in Steubenville and are at the heart of our Catholic educational mission. No other campus symbol or architectural feature so immediately identifies the University.
"As used in the city logo, the chapel image is not an endorsement of any one religion, or religion at all. It merely signifies one of the many treasures of Steubenville--along with Historic Fort Steuben, the Veterans Memorial Bridge, and the downtown cityscape--that are well-known community landmarks.
"For these reasons, Franciscan University has decided not to be included at all in the revised logo rather than to be represented in a way that does not honor our mission as a faith-based institution."
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University of Steubenville, lawsuit, city logo
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- CONOR GALLAGHER NAMED PUBLISHER OF TAN BOOKS AND SAINT BENEDICT PRESS
- Thérèse Drama Surprises Audiences
- Catholic Press Association Honors Liguori
- Crosier Order elects master general and councilors
- Indie Catholic Authors June Ebook Sale Offers the Faithful 17 Books Outside the Mainstream
- World Library Publications Honored With Three Paul Revere Awards
- Limitless Love in Action: First Steubenville Youth Conference Inspires Teens to Bring the Fire Home
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Athletic Director Enshrined in Sports Faith Hall of Fame
- AWARD-WINNING CATHOLIC AUTHORS TEAM-UP TO PROMOTE HEALING THROUGH FORGIVENESS
- NY CONCERT FOR NEPAL 5/31