'We didn't pick the time, nor did we pick the fight'
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For More Information:
Tim Lilley, 678-990-9032 or
Kevin Wandra, 678-990-9032 or
Catholic World Report offers exclusive interview with Archbishop Joseph F. Naumann of Kansas City, Kansas, on SCOTUS ruling, religious freedom
SAN FRANCISCO, CA (June 29, 2012) - In an exclusive interview with CATHOLIC WORLD REPORT, Most Rev. Joseph F. Naumann, D.D., Archbishop of Kansas City, Kansas, discusses the June 28 Supreme Court ruling that upheld a pending U.S. health-care plan; what that ruling means for religious freedom in the U.S.; and other issues related to an approach to government that has created the most massive debt in the history of the world.
This thought-provoking interview is available now online at www.CatholicWorldReport.com.
“There are always some people who feel that the Church is becoming partisan and political in this,” Archbishop Naumann said, referring to a collective response to the HHS mandate covering provision of contraceptives, abortion-inducing drugs and sterilization services that includes more than 40 lawsuits and the current, ongoing Fortnight for Freedom developed by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
“But we try to point out to them that we didn’t pick the time, nor did we pick the fight,” he added. “We’re not trying to advance any agenda other than to protect what has been there. We either have to be silent and acquiesce to the mandate, or we have to make our voices heard at this point.”
Archbishop Naumann is a member of the USCCB’s Committee on Pro-Life Activities and the Committee on Marriage and Family Life. As such, the HHS mandate is of particular concern – as is the concept of a health-care program that stands to dramatically increase what already is a monumental national debt.
“Part of my concern, which I expressed at the bishops’ meeting (earlier this month in Atlanta) is that people – who have good intentions and motivations – have too often looked to massive government programs to help the poor,” he said, “yet we have a history now of almost 50 years with these programs and we don’t have fewer poor and we don’t have more people empowered. But we do have a weaker family life and weaker public morality. And so we have to look at it and ask, ‘Are these really the best ways to go about addressing the problem?’”
For more information, or to schedule an interview with CATHOLIC WORLD REPORT Editor Carl Olson or Ignatius Press President Mark Brumley, please contact Tim Lilley (678-990-9032 or email TLilley@MaximusMG.com) or Kevin Wandra (678-990-9032 or KWandra@MaximusMG.com) of The Maximus Group.
http://maxondeadline.com/catholic-world-report/press-releases/ GA, 30188 US
Kevin Wandra - ,
Catholic World Report, Archbishop Joseph F. Naumann, Supreme Court, Obamacare, Fortnight for Freedom
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- RealOptions Presents Rachel’s Vineyard Retreats
- Angels and Saints at Ephesus again No. 1 on Billboard’s Classical Traditional Music Chart
- The CatholicTV Network to air Feature on the Fine Arts Summer Academy
- The CatholicTV Network to air Ordinations to the Priesthood for the Archdiocese of Boston
- Live Web Event with Scott Hahn
- New Book by IPS Brings together Psychologists, Theologians and Philosophers to 'Build the Bridge'
- Remembering Fr. Kapaun and all our fallen heroes on Memorial Day
- First U.S. Publisher to Speak at Canadian Catholic Schools Convention
- IPS Press Announces Last Book from the Late Benedict Ashley, O.P. A Culmination of His Life's Work
- Human cloning for stem cells remains unethical, impractical and dangerous