Dominican University hosts Dominican Higher Education Colloquium June 14-17
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RIVER FOREST, IL (June 7, 2012) - Dominican University will host the 12th Biennial Colloquium of Dominican Colleges and Universities, a gathering of 17 national and international Catholic colleges and universities of the Dominican Order, from June 14-17 and its River Forest campuses.
The colloquium will feature more than 35 presentations by leading scholars from Dominican institutions, centered on the exploration of the contemplative tradition of Dominican higher education.
Among the featured speakers will be Laurie Brink, OP, PhD, associate professor of New Testament Studies at Catholic Theological Union; Patricia Walter, OP, PhD, professor of systematic theology at Aquinas Institute of Theology and former Prioress of the Adrian Dominicans; Paul Murray, OP, internationally renowned poet and professor at the University of St. Thomas in Rome; and Richard Woods, OP, PhD, professor of theology at Dominican, author and scholar of mystic theology.
Other presenters will speak to the role of contemplation in teaching and learning across several academic disciplines, including the integration of modern technology, visual arts, math and science, business, the liberal arts, physical education, teacher education, dance, social work, environmental studies and more.
During the event, Mary Catherine Hilkert, OP, will be presented with the Veritas Award by Dominican University. The award recognizes excellence in teaching by a preeminent scholar and theologian in the Dominican tradition. Hilkert is professor of theology at the University of Notre Dame, where she has received numerous awards for teaching, research, service to ministry and the integration of academic and pastoral theology.
On Friday evening, attendees will take in the opening concert of the Millennium Park 2012 season with the world premiere of composer Michael Gandolfi’s “Exaltation of Place.”
For more information, contact Diane Kennedy, OP, vice president for mission and ministry, at (708) 488-5234 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit dom.edu/colloquium.
http://www.dom.edu/newsroom/press/2012/june/article_0004.html IL, 60305 US
Dan Armstrong - Public Relations Manager, 708-524-6452
dominican, college, university, high education, gathering, laurie brink, paul murray, chica
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- EWTN PREMIERE: New StoryTel Film Explores Soldiers of Christ in America
- Meet the enemy of big government: J.R.R. Tolkien
- Enter the world of beatniks, hippies … and singing monks?
- Pontiff and Prophet: Pope Paul VI predictions in On Human Life ring true throughout the world
- George Weigel on Evangelical Catholicism in Catholic Universities
- Frankfurt Book Fair 2014
- ‘Christmas in Harvard Square’ wows with impressive debut on Billboard charts
- Pontifical Low Mass (DVD & Booklet)
- Horrific tragedy inspires Catholic entrepreneur to create powerful novel
- Cardinal Raymond Burke: Synod’s mid-term report ‘lacks a solid foundation in the Sacred Scriptures'