Barbara Reid, OP, PhD, to give Dominican University Lenten Lecture
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
River Forest, IL (March 2, 2012) - Dominican University's Siena Center will host its Lenten Lecture on Wednesday, March 14, at 7:00 p.m. in the Auditorium on Dominican's Priory Campus, 7200 W. Division Street, River Forest. Barbara E. Reid, OP, PhD, professor of New Testament studies, vice president and academic dean of Catholic Theological Union, will present "Taking Up the Cross: From Atonement for Since to Birthing New Life."
Reid's lecture will explore select New Testament texts and their differing theologies of the cross, with a view toward identifying those that can feed cycles of violence and victimization and those that can open liberating paths.
She is the author of many books including Taking Up the Cross: New Testament Interpretations Through Latina and Feminist Eyes, Las Parábolas: Predicándolas y Viviéndolas, and Choosing the Better Part? Women in the Gospel of Luke.
She writes the weekly column on "The Word" for America magazine, and is currently working on two new books on feminist interpretation of the Scriptures.
General admission is $10. Dominican students, faculty and staff are admitted free.
For more information, visit the dom.edu/siena or contact the Siena Center at (708) 714-9105.
Dominican University established the Siena Center to engage the critical issues of church and society in the light of faith and scholarship. The center was named for St. Catherine of Siena, a 14th century laywoman who worked for the reform of the church and justice in the world. Her passionate devotion to the central issues of church and society inspires the work of the center in its schedule of lectures, symposia, workshops, retreats, research and seminars.
http://www.dom.edu/siena IL, 60305 US
Dan Armstrong - Public Relations Manager, 708-524-6452
siena center, barbara reid, dominican university, lent, lecture, chicago
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- 17 Cardinals and Counting
- 19th Annual Carnival Announced for St. Ann's Parish
- OCP Pledges to Support the V Encuentro
- The John Paul II International Film Festival Marks Its Five-Year Anniversary
- Thu, Sept 24, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Angelos Sebastian Our Lady of Grace Catholic Chu
- How do we live the truth in love when the culture says we're haters?
- Grief, Death, Eternal Life Explored in New Catholic Title by PBM
- Right Next to Disneyland: Theater Meets Faith
- OCP Parish Grant Program to Distribute $200,000 to U.S. Parishes
- Franciscan University Joins With UK School to Offer Online Master of Catechetics Degree