Barbara Reid, OP, PhD, to give Dominican University Lenten Lecture
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
River Forest, IL (March 2, 2012) - Dominican University’s Siena Center will host its Lenten Lecture on Wednesday, March 14, at 7:00 p.m. in the Auditorium on Dominican’s Priory Campus, 7200 W. Division Street, River Forest. Barbara E. Reid, OP, PhD, professor of New Testament studies, vice president and academic dean of Catholic Theological Union, will present “Taking Up the Cross: From Atonement for Since to Birthing New Life.”
Reid’s lecture will explore select New Testament texts and their differing theologies of the cross, with a view toward identifying those that can feed cycles of violence and victimization and those that can open liberating paths.
She is the author of many books including Taking Up the Cross: New Testament Interpretations Through Latina and Feminist Eyes, Las Parábolas: Predicándolas y Viviéndolas, and Choosing the Better Part? Women in the Gospel of Luke.
She writes the weekly column on “The Word” for America magazine, and is currently working on two new books on feminist interpretation of the Scriptures.
General admission is $10. Dominican students, faculty and staff are admitted free.
For more information, visit the dom.edu/siena or contact the Siena Center at (708) 714-9105.
Dominican University established the Siena Center to engage the critical issues of church and society in the light of faith and scholarship. The center was named for St. Catherine of Siena, a 14th century laywoman who worked for the reform of the church and justice in the world. Her passionate devotion to the central issues of church and society inspires the work of the center in its schedule of lectures, symposia, workshops, retreats, research and seminars.
http://www.dom.edu/siena IL, 60305 US
Dan Armstrong - Public Relations Manager, 708-524-6452
siena center, barbara reid, dominican university, lent, lecture, chicago
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Employment Opportunities with the LA Archdiocese
- Marriage and Family at the Forefront of Social Science Conference
- New books and key experts available in time for October Synod on Marriage and Family
- Franciscan University Reacts to Latest HHS Mandate Ruling
- Former Polish Prime Minister to Speak on Legacy of St. John Paul II
- Divine Mercy Drama Comes to Washington, DC
- Gospel of Mark — Ready, Set, Go! - September 6, 2014
- Come to the Sisters of Providence Fall Discernment Weekend Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2014
- New Book Helps Readers Trust God with St. Therese's Little Way
- CatholicTV Launches 2.0 of iOS app, Android 2.0 to soon follow