Article brought to you by: Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Man suing plastic surgeon after he awakes with NO NOSE

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
June 7th, 2013
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Patient Vishal Thakkar went to Dr. Angelo Cuzalina, the president of the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, because he said he wanted to do "something selfish" in 2006. He wanted to have his nose done. After more than eight surgeries over the course of a half a dozen years, Thakkar awoke to find that his ENTIRE NOSE had been removed in a botched rhinoplasty. Suing Cuzalina, Thakkar says that "there is no way I am going to live like this. It is worse than being dead."

LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Living in Tulsa, Oklahoma at the time of the surgeries, Thakkar told TV reporters that he sought out the services of Cuzalina for the nose job. It was during this time Thakkar began his long series of the reported misadventures with the doctor which stretched over more than half a dozen years.

Thakkar claims to have suffered relatively minor breathing problems after the first surgery that occurred when he slept or worked out. He returned to Cuzalina eight times within one year to treat various fixes from the previous treatments.

Thakkar alleges that he specifically told one of the nurses that he did not want them to take any cartilage from his ears should they need it for his nose during the surgery. When he woke up a few hours later, he had pain behind his ears because they had done just that.

A similar situation occurred when they removed cartilage from above his ribcage because they had run out of cartilage by his ear.

After going under the knife after suffering several infections in 2011, the root of his initial concern had been forcefully removes. He no longer had a nose.

"He told me that there was an infection in there and since I was on the operating table and unconscious he had to make the decision," Thakkar told reporters.

The doctor-patient relationship was contentious before the life-altering surgery, however, as the lawsuit filed by Thakkar's attorney alleges that the doctor covertly recorded their conversations in the medical offices.

The tape recordings were then used as justification for Cuzalina's August 31, 2012 letter where he said that he would no longer operate on Thakkar because of his "ongoing threats and harassment against my staff, my practice, and me personally."

Thakkar also claimed that he was "prescribed an excessive amount of medication, enough to kill the patient, if taken, including but not limited to Loratab, Ambien, Valilum, and Oxycodone."

Cuzalina has no prior complaints filed against him in the state of Oklahoma. He has declined to speak to the press.

Article brought to you by: Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)