Article brought to you by: Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

More whistle-blowers asked to come forward on Benghazi attack

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
May 9th, 2013
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

House Speaker John Boehner has now demanded that officials turn over emails pertaining to the controversial "talking points" on the September 11, 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya. Other top Republican has appealed for more whistle-blowers to come forward. Former Vice President Dick Cheney also told lawmakers: "I think Hillary (Clinton) should be subpoenaed if necessary."
 

LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic online) - There are all indications that Republicans will continue to press for answers on the deadly Sept. 11 attack. GOP lawmakers say the incident, that killed four U.S. diplomatic personnel, raises troubling questions that need to be investigated.

"The truth shouldn't be hidden from the American people behind a White House firewall," Boehner said. "Four Americans lost their lives in this terrorist attack. Congress will continue to investigate this issue, using all of the resources at our disposal."

Boehner is urging the Obama administration to make public a set of internal emails that some lawmakers had been able to review -- but not keep. One of the emails apparently depicted a top State Department official saying a group affiliated with Islamic terrorists was responsible for the strike.

Other emails allegedly depict the White House and State Department pressing lower-level officials to remove references to terrorism in talking points about the attacks.

United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice has since appeared on five Sunday talk shows to say they were triggered by protests over an anti-Islam film. Testimony from whistle-blowers however indicated that those on the ground knew the attack was terrorism.

"The YouTube video was a non-event in Libya," Greg Hicks, deputy chief of mission in Libya, said in his testimony.

Republican Rep. Darrell Issa after the hearing said he will continue to seek whistle-blowers to "come forward."

"Candidly, as quickly as possible, we simply want to have the whistle blowers that are still out there, in fact witnesses that are still out there to come forward, tell us their story. We will get it out and we will close up this investigation," he told Fox News.

Fresh inquiries have since been made about the attack. Witnesses questioned why security had not been tightened in Benghazi in the months leading up to the assault. Also, why didn't U.S. military assets respond sooner that night, with one alleging a military team was not given permission to fly from Tripoli to Benghazi the next morning?

There are also concerns over the Obama administration's initial decision to describe the attack as a protest gone awry despite evidence on the ground to the contrary.

Greg Hicks in his testimony also claimed the State Department retaliated against him after he raised questions about that decision, claiming that Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs Elizabeth Jones delivered a "blistering critique" of his management style.

He also claimed that he was counseled to avoid personally discussing the attack with Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz and was "effectively demoted" to a desk officer in the end.

Article brought to you by: Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)