Article brought to you by: Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Trayvon Martin case won't go to grand jury

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
April 10th, 2012
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

On Monday, special prosecutor Angela Corey said she will not be taking the Trayvon Martin shooting death before a grand jury.

ORLANDO, FL (Catholic Online) - Corey said she will continue to investigate the case but will not involve a grand jury that had been set to meet Tuesday in Sanford, Florida. Under Florida law, only first-degree murder cases require the use of grand juries. Corey's announcement means the decision on charges now rests with Corey alone.

Last month, after Norm Wolfinger recused himself from the Martin case, Corey took over.

"From the moment she was assigned, Ms. Corey noted she may not need a grand jury," said a statement from Corey's office.

Trayvon Martin was killed on Feb. 26 by George Zimmerman in a gated community. Zimmerman, a neighborhood watchman, claimed self-defense, and Florida's self-defense law gives a lot of liberty to use deadly force in the "face of danger."

The case has led to protests across the nation and has opened up a debate about race and self-defense laws.

.

Article brought to you by: Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)