John Paul II's Favorite Food: A Papal Indulgence
It's no sin to have a sweet tooth!
On a visit to his hometown of Wadowice in 1999, the pope mentioned that as a boy he and his friends would put their money together to buy a special pastry from the local baker. Now, the pastry is known in Poland as the "Papal Cream Cake."
Pope John Paul II's favorite food, now known as the papal cream cake.
When the cake was offered, she made eye contact with the person serving the cake, and held her fingers slightly apart to indicate the proper sized sliver to serve the Pope. But when the Pope saw out of the corner of his eye that "Sister dietician" had turned away, he motioned to the waiter, placed his hand on the waiter's hand, and with an impish grin positioned the knife to cut a much more ample slice.
No doubt, the pastry in question was the Polish cream cake which is now known as Kremówka papieska, the "Papal Cream Cake." On a visit to his hometown of Wadowice in 1999, the pope mentioned that as a boy he and his friends would put their money together to buy one of these cakes from the local baker. Now, any visitors who come to visit John Paul II's childhood home are sure to see signs advertising the treat in front of restaurants and baker's shops.
The recipe is simple but delicious, calling for a shortbread crust on the bottom, a layer of golden custard cream, and a sheet of puff pastry on top. The finished product is cut into squares and dusted with dusted with confectioners' sugar.Delicious! You can find a link to the full recipe on our website, JohnPaulMoments.com.
- - -
JohnPaulMoments.com is dedicated to promoting the teaching of John Paul II through the radio and podcast program "John Paul 2 Moments" and various print publications.
Keywords: johnpaul2, johnpaulii, beatification, papalcreamcake, saints, bakingmiracles
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Pope John Paul II News
- Rome's Exorcist Finding Blessed John Paul II Effective Against Satan
- Tribute to Blessed John Paul II in Honor of His Beatification
- A Monk Reflects on Divine Mercy and the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Blessed John Paul II Transformed Lives and Continues His Work
- Thanksgiving Mass for Blessed John Paul II: Defender of the Human Person
- Do Not Be Afraid! Pope Benedict XVI's Homily, Beatification of Blessed John Paul
- Blessed John Paul II and his Message of Mercy Continue to Light the World
- Blessed John Paul II in Mother Mary's Arms -- Totus Tuus
- Blessed John Paul II: All Eyes Look to Rome for the Beatification of Pope John Paul II
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?