NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
NSA tracking cellphone locations globally - mapping relationships of individuals
Even George Orwell's Big Brother's mind would be boggled regarding the National Security Agency's breadth and reach into the lives of billions. Top-secret documents and interviews with U.S. intelligence officials have revealed that the NSA is gathering nearly five billion records A DAY on the whereabouts of cellphones around the world. Furthermore, monitored individuals and their partners - wives, husbands, friends, lovers are all part of the ongoing surveillance.
This tourist would probably not be pleased to consider that his conversation may in fact be monitored by the NSA, one of five billion - daily.
Recent findings prove that the agency acquires a substantial amount of information on the whereabouts of domestic cellphones "incidentally."
One senior collection manager claimed that "we are getting vast volumes" of location data from around the world by tapping into the cables that connect mobile networks globally and that serve U.S. cellphones as well as foreign ones. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Data is frequently collected from the tens of millions of Americans who travel abroad with their cellphones every year.
The efforts to collect and analyze location data may be unsurpassed among the NSA surveillance programs that have been disclosed since June. Imagine this: Analysts can find cellphones anywhere in the world, retrace their movements and expose hidden relationships among the people using them.
U.S. officials maintain that the programs that collect and analyze location data are lawful and intended strictly to develop intelligence about foreign targets.
"There is no element of the intelligence community that under any authority is intentionally collecting bulk cellphone location information about cellphones in the United States," Robert Litt, general counsel for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, which oversees the NSA says.
If this serves as any form of assurance, the NSA says that they have no reason to suspect that the movements of the overwhelming majority of cellphone users. The agency collects locations in bulk because its most powerful analytic tools, which is known collectively as CO-TRAVELER and lets it to look for unknown associates of known intelligence targets by tracking people whose movements intersect.
Mathematical techniques enable NSA analysts to map cellphone owners' relationships by correlating their patterns of movement over time with thousands or millions of other phone users who cross their paths.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Why America's Catholics Need an Apocalypse
- Republicans win BIG! Special election in Florida watched closely.
- Surveillance is 'setting fire' to the Internet, whistle blower Snowden says
- INTERNET TAKEOVER: Senator introduces bill to prevent online takeover from U.N., or foreign power
- Huckabee: 'If this nation forgets our God, then God will have every right to forget us'
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?