TRAGIC: 49 percent of Americans receive government benefits
Study finds 82 million U.S. households on Medicaid
It was over two years ago - but the findings are devastating. It appears that in the fourth quarter of 2011, 49.2 percent of Americans received benefits from one or more government programs.
"I've been on the Link card for over a year, and only close family and friends know about it, because it is embarrassing. I don't want to have to ask for help from anybody," one fresh Welfare mother says.
This figure included 82,457,000 people, or a whopping 26.9 percent of the population lived in households in which one or more people received Medicaid benefits.
The figures are uniformly grim. Of the other government programs during that period: 49,901,000 who collected Social Security; 49,073,000 who got food stamps; 46,440,000 on Medicare; 23,228,000 in the Women, Infants and Children program, 20,223,000 getting Supplemental Security Income;13,433,000 who lived in public or subsidized rental housing; 5,098,000 who got unemployment; 3,178,000 who got veterans' benefits; and 364,000 who got railroad retirement benefits.
With little employment opportunity and higher costs of living, people who never saw themselves in this position are now using link cards and Medicaid to scrape by.
"I've been on the Link card for over a year, and only close family and friends know about it, because it is embarrassing. I don't want to have to ask for help from anybody," one fresh Welfare mother says. "I grew up in a family where you worked hard for what you get. I never wanted to ask for help for anything, but I needed it. When I got to the grocery store and ring it through the credit card machine, I put my fingers over the its so people don't know it's a Link card."
When Obamacare is fully implemented on Jan. 1, 2014, Americans earning up to 400 percent of the poverty level will qualify for a federal subsidy to buy health insurance.
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?