IMPEACHMENT: Texas Lt. Governor says president should be impeached
David Dewhurst declares that Obama 'has committed crimes that do not warrant his staying in office'
Texas Lt. Governor David Dewhurst, running for re-election has made a highly bold statement. He says that U.S. President Barack Obama should be impeached for committing “crimes that do not warrant his staying in office.”
Speaking to the Texas Observer, Dewhurst declared that "I think this President, Barack Obama, has disregarded federal law. He has tried to do things which are not authorized under federal law. Things he's disregarded such as immigration. He's not, not following our federal drug laws. And he has created winners and losers in Obamacare where he has no authority."
Dewhurst also criticized the president's alleged inaction in international affairs. "I am very concerned about Benghazi, in which all of the national news reporting indicated that live video was streaming into the White House situation room. Which means there was a(n) overhead platform, probably a drone in the area. At least that's what it tells me. And for not mobilizing some response to protect the ambassador and those three Americans is just outrageous to me. Just outrageous.
"That happens to be my view, that the man has committed crimes that do not warrant his staying in office," Dewhurst said.
The Lieutenant Governor was at one time an intelligence officer for both the U.S. Air Force and the CIA.
"For Dewhurst to say, basically, 'I think we ought to impeach the President,' is a big deal," according to Political Analyst John Weekley says, adding that the office of Lieutenant Governor is the most powerful in Texas and these accusations aren't made lightly.
"I think the Lt. Governor looks at the President's very open statement that he was going to work around the Constitution, and work around the Congress. And use the executive branch to basically create law in many cases." Weekley adds, "I think he's expressing his opinion that the President has way, way stepped over the line and that's where he stands."
Dallas County's Democratic party chair takes a dissenting view. "Impeachment is not some internet ranting that we throw around," Darlene Ewing says. "If it wasn't so pathetic I would say that the Lt. Governor should read the Constitution; obviously he hasn't seen it in awhile."
"It's just the wacko meanderings of a candidate that's desperate for the Tea Party's support so maybe he figures, 'The crazier I get maybe the more votes I'll get because I'm scared of these other guys.'"
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Why America's Catholics Need an Apocalypse
- Republicans win BIG! Special election in Florida watched closely.
- Surveillance is 'setting fire' to the Internet, whistle blower Snowden says
- INTERNET TAKEOVER: Senator introduces bill to prevent online takeover from U.N., or foreign power
- Huckabee: 'If this nation forgets our God, then God will have every right to forget us'
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?