Supreme Court Justice Scalia declares 'I Even Believe in the Devil'
Devil is very successful by convincing people to not believe in him or God, Scalia says
The devil, you say? Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in a recent interview says that he believes in the Devil as a living entity, "a real person." Scalia adds that the Devil is very "smart" and "successful" by convincing people to not believe in him or in God.
Antonin Scalia has served on the high court for 27 years. When asked what evidence there is of the Devil in today's world, he said, "You know, it's curious. In the Gospels, the Devil is doing all sorts of things. He's making pigs run off cliffs, he's possessing people and whatnot. And that doesn't happen much anymore."
"Hey, come on, that's standard Catholic doctrine," Scalia said, who is Catholic. "Every Catholic believes that."
Scalia has served on the high court for 27 years. When asked what evidence there is of the Devil in today's world, he said, "You know, it's curious. In the Gospels, the Devil is doing all sorts of things. He's making pigs run off cliffs, he's possessing people and whatnot. And that doesn't happen much anymore."
"It's because he's smart," the justice said. "What he's doing now is getting people not to believe in him or in God. He's much more successful that way."
Scalia explained that atheism was not the "Devil's work," but said that atheism, or a non-belief in God "certainly favors the Devil's desires."
"I mean, come on, that's the explanation for why there's not demonic possession all over the place," Scalia said. "That always puzzled me. What happened to the Devil, you know? He used to be all over the place. He used to be all over the New Testament."
When asked,"Isn't it frightening to believe in the Devil?" Scalia declared "You're looking at me as though I'm weird. My God! Are you so out of touch with most of America, most of which believes in the Devil? I mean, Jesus Christ believed in the Devil! It's in the Gospels. You travel in circles that are so, so removed from mainstream America that you are appalled that anybody would believe in the Devil! Most of mankind has believed in the Devil, for all of history. Many more intelligent people than you or me have believed in the Devil."
Scalia was nominated to the Supreme Court by President Ronald Reagan and was confirmed by the Senate as an associate justice in September 1986. He is considered one of solid conservatives on the court. Holding degrees from Georgetown University, the University of Fribourg, and Harvard Law School, he is married and the father of nine children.
Discover the true meaning of Christmas!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?