Federal workers should enroll in Obamacare, Rand Paul says
Federal workers have health care subsidized by taxpayers
Since the rest of the United States will be beholden to Obamacare - Rand Paul says that all federal employees should, too. Paul says he does not want taxpayers subsidizing the personal health-care plans of any federal employee, including Obamacare proponent Chief Justice John Roberts.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander -- Kentucky Senator Rand Paul says federal employees should have to sign up for Obamacare, too.
The proposal will outlaw any special exemptions for government employees. This means all federal workers would have to purchase health insurance on the new Obamacare exchanges instead of getting taxpayer-funded subsidies. Critics have long maintained that those subsidies amount to special treatment. The Obamacare health insurance exchange opens October 1.
"My amendment says basically that everybody including Justice Roberts - who seems to be such a fan of Obamacare - gets it too," Paul said in a telephone interview.
"See, right now, Justice Roberts is still continuing to have federal employee health insurance subsidized by the taxpayer," Paul said. "And if he likes Obamacare so much, I'm going to give him an amendment that gives Obamacare to Justice Roberts."
Roberts had voted to uphold the constitutionality of Obama's health-care reform law when it went before the Supreme Court last year.
The senator also plans to support a proposal requiring that Congress and all federal employees rely on Obamacare for their insurance. Paul's proposal comes after outrage from conservatives about a so-called "exemption" for members of Congress and their staff from Obamacare.
It's being called as the "Obamacare fix" for lawmakers and staff. The Affordable Care Act includes an amendment from a Republican senator that changes how the government currently covers most of the cost of health-care premiums for members of Congress and their staffers. The new law mandates that members and staff must enter into exchanges or be covered by insurance "created" by law.
Paul revealed his new amendment push this past weekend after reporters inquired about a proposal from Louisiana Senator David Vitter, who has proposed killing those federal Obamacare subsidies for lawmakers and their staff. "I support any effort to make all laws applicable to Congress that we pass," Paul said.
Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?