No smoking gun, but report shows Obama 'gave cues' for IRS to attack Tea Party orgs
What does it take to hold an executive responsible for ethical behavior in office?
It appears the truth may be out about Obama's involvement in the IRS Tea party scandal. Surprisingly, there is no smoking gun of an executive order or any such document, however IRS officials have gone on record admitting they took specific cues from Obama and other leading Democrats.
According to the statements, the Tea Party applications were singled out because "they were likely to attract media attention." Specifically, if these groups attained tax exempt status, they could communicate their message to the media and cost Obama votes.
The report says, "As prominent politicians publicly urged the IRS to take action on tax-exempt groups engaged in legal campaign intervention activities, the IRS treated tea party applications differently. Applications filed by tea party groups were identified and grouped due to media attention surrounding the existence of the tea party in general."
The report suggests that IRS agents were "taking cues" from Obama and other leading Democrats. This leaves two questions. First, how did they know they should take cues? There is nothing in the IRS manuals which suggest that executives of the agency should follow anything except for the law and explicit directives.
Second, is there more evidence out there that could prove that more than "cues" were used to direct IRS policy?
Democrats have countered, saying that left-leaning tax-exempt organizations were also targeted for extra scrutiny, however proof of this has been paltry at best. Nor did the IRS testimony suggest that left-leaning groups were ever part of the targeting program. Only Tea Party groups were targeted.
Although there is no direct link between the Oval Office and the IRS scandal other than "cues" it certainly hints at a blatant attempt by the Obama administration to control the flow of speech in the public forum by underhanded means.
Do we really need to find a smoking gun to hold our executive leadership responsible for ethical behavior?
Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?