Debt ceiling: borrowing money we don't need from kids yet unborn
America is governed by an aristocracy.
The U.S. Treasury claims the government remains just $25 million under the national debt limit, a position it has now held for a hundred days. In the meantime, the treasury says it has been using extraordinary measures to maintain that number, and those measures will expire on Oct. 11.
Known as "the usual extraordinary measures," according to Treasury Secretary Jack Lew, those measures include raiding disability funds, cashing in on treasury securities, and raiding federal retirement funds. These measures have bought some time, however given the rate of federal spending, it's unlikely they bought enough to extend the country's credit through October 11.
Nonetheless, the authorities have set the deadline for October.
At that time, Congress will have to either vote to borrow more money against our children's future, or cut spending, despite the sequester.
What we are observing is a government scam of epic proportions. The federal government spends money it doesn't have against the credit of people yet unborn, to pay for things we shouldn't need. Among those things are supermassive surveillance programs, drones, cruise missile strikes, free contraceptives for women, massive political campaigns, and legal battles to batter back the will of the people where they oppose homosexual marriage and abortion.
An aristocracy that cares only for itself and views the people as a resource now rules us. According to Mark Levin, there is more turnover in the House of Lords than the U.S. House of Representatives.
Our political leaders have become an aristocracy with separate healthcare, separate retirement, and privileges and perks that most CEO's can't even access. Counterpart to them is another aristocracy made of two-bit celebrities who have more money than self control or talent.
Congress sends us bread and the celebs provide the circuses.
Meanwhile, the rest of us, oblivious to the numbers game in Washington, because the numbers are too big to calculate, are busy rageposting on Facebook about Miley Cyrus, but post nothing about government spending, a pending war in Syria, or the general erosion of privacy and freedom in our nation.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Human Dignity and Culture: Time for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?