How lawmakers could use your dollars to pay for their abortions
Amendment that calls for fairness also beings new complications to Obamacare.
Lawmakers and their staffs could gain access to abortion coverage as part of a fix to Obamacare. The legalities of the dilemma are extraordinarily complex that nobody knows what will happen, only that the entire situation could become a legal Gordian knot.
However, critics have pointed out that congressional representatives and their staffs do not have to use Obamacare coverage, which is hypocritical. Since Congress passed Obamacare, they should have to live with it the same as everyone else.
Therefore, Senator Charles Grassley (R-IO) has proposed an amendment that would compel lawmakers and their staffers to use the same markets as you and I to purchase their insurance.
So far, this sounds like a fair plan, however there's a wrinkle. While lawmakers and their staffs may end up using Obamacare, they will also continue to get federal subsidies which pay for their healthcare. In other words, they will use Obamacare, but at least a portion of their coverage will be paid by the federal government with your tax dollars.
The problem is not just that we're paying their healthcare at a time when many Americans will be struggling to pay for their own. It's that they could purchase plans which do include abortion and that would mean your tax dollars could be used to fund that which is unconscionable.
So the fix that would force Congress to use the same healthcare we do, also creates the problem by potentially diverting your dollars to their abortions.
Federal law thankfully prohibits the use of public money for the vast majority of abortions excepting only cases of rape, incest, and the life of the mother.
So now a new change is being proposed, in essence, an amendment to the amendment. Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ) is asking for those who must choose an Obamacare plan paid for with federal money to buy only plans that do not include abortion coverage.
However, this becomes a legal entanglement because it would have to be enforced and there is no current mechanism to do the reporting or enforcing. Anti-life advocates say that lawmakers and staffers can happily choose an abortion plan and that no federal money will be spent on the procedures. Instead, premium increases would be use.
Premiums that would come, at least in part, from you and I.
It is likely, lawmakers predict, that legal issues will be raised by both sides, and battles will ensue. How they will be resolved is subject to great debate because the specific laws and policies are widely varied, differing from state to state and from provider to provider. Sorting out the mess will likely be a long, confusing and drawn-out process.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?