Appointment to head religious office will shock you, or maybe not...
Appointee wants to see religion out of American civil society.
On Wednesday, John Kerry announced the formation of the Office of Faith-Based Community Initiatives. That office will be a "portal for engagement with religious leaders around the world." That office will be headed by Shaun Casey, a liberal who once praised what he said was the death of "American civil religion."
Curiously, the head of that new office is Shaun Casey, a man who the year before made a rather shocking statement.
Casey was the former religious policy advisor to Obama in his 2008 campaign and defended Obamas ties to the controversial Rev. Jeremiah Wright. Casey is a known liberal and a professor of Christian ethics as Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington D.C.
Casey said at a panel discussion last year, "I, frankly, am glad American civil religion is dying. There is also a negative underside to that history with respect to slavery, manifest destiny, to war, you know, to empires, so I, frankly, am glad American civil religion is dying."
What is meant by the term of civil religion is the mix of politics and religion that unifies the American people. The term was coined by Jean-Jacques Rousseau as the moral and spiritual foundation of a society. In America, civil religion manifests itself as "In God we trust" on our money and "One nation under God" in our pledge.
So, a professor of Christian ethics, who is now the head of our office of Faith-Based Community Initiatives, is a man who we expect would be happy to see America expunge all references to its Holy Creator. He would likely then frown at a presidential prayer, or a town hall prayer breakfast with the mayor. He would not wish to see the Ten Commandments on the Supreme Court building. If those things were to go away, it would make him glad.
This is a professor of Christian ethics?
It seems instead this is a liberal appointment, a wolf-in-sheep's clothing, choice. It should be expected coming from the current administration that is so Christian it supports, unequivocally, abortion, contraception, atheism and discrimination against conservatives.
Sadly, we are no longer surprised.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?