Shocking Testimony: IRS STILL targeting conservatives!
Is it time for a special prosecutor?
In an earth-shaking confession, an IRS agent has confessed that the agency is still targeting conservative groups, three months after being caught and investigated for doing the same. Congress has made clear that the targeting is inappropriate and likely illegal.
The unidentified agent provided the testimony in closed door proceedings before the Ways and Means Committee. According to his testimony, Tea Party applications are sent into a second screening process, something that is not normally done simply based on affiliation.
The second screening is ostensibly for "political advocacy."
This exchange was included in the transcript.
Ways and means investigator: "If you saw -- I am asking this currently, if today if a Tea Party case, a group -- a case from a Tea Party group came in to your desk, you reviewed the file and there was no evidence of political activity, would you potentially approve that case? Is that something you would do?"
IRS agent: "At this point I would send it to secondary screening, political advocacy."
Investigator: "So you would treat a Tea Party group as a political advocacy case even if there was no evidence of political activity on the application. Is that right?"
Agent: "Based on my current manager's direction, uh-huh."
Following the testimony, a committee aide said, "In plain English, the IRS is still targeting Tea Party cases."
Three months ago, it was admitted that the IRS had issued directions to agents to be on the lookout for tax exempt applications that contained words like "Tea Party" or "patriot." Organizations with such labels were to be sent for a special second screening, on the concern that they could be engaging in inappropriate political activities.
The second screening however, turned out to be ridiculous and likely illegal, given the literal harassment of applicant groups. Individuals were asked to provide the text of speeches, lists of books they were reading, and a variety of impossible questions to answer.
The controversy sparked a Congressional investigation as well as the resignation of then acting head of the IRS, Danny Werfel.
Despite this, it appears the powers that be haven't learned their lesson. The investigation continue and some suspect that the Obama administration itself is responsible. President Obama denied knowledge of the policy until he saw it on the nightly news, although it was admitted that his chief of staff was himself aware of the policy.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Human Dignity and Culture: Time for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?