States seek to nullify overreaching Obama edicts
Efforts doomed to fail, are largely symbolic.
Dozens of states are fed up with the Obama administration and have passed, or intend to pass nullification laws designed to shield them from federal encroachment on their Tenth Amendment authority. Issues from healthcare to gun control are being addressed.
The nullifications are little more than a form of political protest since experts believe few, if any will stand up in the courts. The Civil War did much to erode the strength of the Tenth Amendment.
Still, the laws being passed from state to state represent a very real backlash against the overreaches of the Obama administration.
At least 37 states have passed some kind of nullification of one Obama policy or another. Twenty states have nullified all or part of Obamacare.
Many individuals feel Obamacare is an unconstitutional tax and an unbearable economic burden on both individuals and businesses. Laws based on these challenges may not hold up in court, but they represent a symbolic effort to resist the power of a man who is just as quick to act via Presidential order as he is to ramrod his pet legislation through Congress, regardless of opposition.
People across the nation are tired of the Presidential overreach.
Gun legislation is another hot issue. Despite the fact that both the Constitution and courts have upheld the right of the individual to keep and bear arms, the government repeatedly passes increasingly restrictive legislation. Such legislation becomes vogue in the wake of school shootings and other high-profile cases, chipping away at a fundamental individual right.
States have passed laws exempting themselves from such legislation. In Kansas, for example, the state passed a law exempting firearms made in Kansas, which never leave the state, from federal gun laws and making it a felony for any federal agent to attempt to enforce federal gun laws within the state.
However, the controversy isn't so much about guns and healthcare. It's about the federal government reserving to President Obama those powers which rightfully belong to the state.
Most of these efforts are doomed to defeat in the courts, but still they send a powerful message to the Obama regime. Stop trampling on state's rights!
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Federal judge declares NSA's collection of domestic phone records unconstitutional
- Shocking! Sebelius tells truth: YES, Obamacare will cost you more.
- The Collapse of Culture Calls for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Sibelius grilled over lie to committee, tells everyone to look up information for themselves
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?