Hispanic warns Republicans that they definitely should 'cuidado!'
Immigration remains on the front burner for many who aspire to U.S. citizenship
Univision Anchor Jorge Ramos has been forthright with the United States GOP. While many in the Hispanic media feel that Republicans have sought to marginalize the large presence of Hispanics and Latinos in the United States, Ramos says that the GOP should definitely "cuidado," or care.
According to Univision Anchor Jorge Ramos, if all House Republicans vote "against immigration reform or boycott the process . That's enough to make your candidate lose the presidential election in the United States in 2016."
In a statement written in Spanish, Ramos wrote that whether or not all Republican strategists are ready to admit it or not, anti-immigration is damaging to the Republican brand. This is especially true since the Spanish-language media so aggressively covers the immigration debate.
Some conservatives maintain that there's no real political penalty in killing the Senate immigration compromise, or something similar as far as 2014. Ramos' warning shot is something that shouldn't be ignored and simply seen through the prism of "biased media."
In related news, U.S. President Barack Obama conducted four interviews with Spanish-language TV anchors. It's being seen as a way to engage in the immigration debate without getting aggressively involved for now.
In the interviews, the president said it "does not make sense" for any final legislation to omit a path to citizenship. "For us to have two classes of people in this country, full citizens and people who are permanently resigned to a lower status, I think that's not who we are as Americans. That's never been our tradition."
The president also stated his preference for Congress to pass a comprehensive bill rather than piecemeal ones. "The danger of doing it in pieces is that, a lot of groups want different things and there's a tendency, I think, to put off the hard stuff until the end."
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?