Booz Allen Hamilton bleeds revenue as PRISM leak is investigated
Company will face unknown future losses.
Booz Allen Hamilton has lost tens of millions of dollars in market value just days after a former employee leaked sensitive government secrets to the media. Those secrets relate to PRISM, a top secret government program that has been aggregating private data on hundreds of millions of Americans for several years.
Booz Allen sells technical expertise and professional data analysis to the government and has particularly close ties to the National Security Administration (NSA). The company's dealings are so confidential that it warns shareholders they may not be able to tell how the company earns most of its revenue.
More than two thirds of the firm's employees have Top Secret or above security clearance.
The firm employs about two 95,000 people.
It's difficult to tell if the company's existing contracts will be harmed, but it's easy to imagine that it may have a harder time procuring contracts in the future since trust in the company has now been eroded.
Last week, Edward Snowden, 29, a three-month employee of the firm left his new job with the company, as well as a girlfriend and home in Hawaii, to leak sensitive details about PRISM to the news media. He is thought to be hiding in Hong Kong, now a wanted man.
Until now, Booz Allen has had an impeccable record as far as security breaches go. According to government sources, only three complaints of leaked information have been traced back to Booz Allen since 1995. This is considered to be a good number for such a large firm.
Now, the company will have to conduct internal investigations for which it will probably need to hire intelligence experts including former top Cabinet and security officials. Hiring these high-profile investigators will cost millions of dollars, and while the investigations are conducted, the government may be reluctant to sign new contracts with the firm.
Snowden said his motivation was to protect all Americans, but until he can be found and questioned by authorities, and the leaks are fully investigated, the true motivation and impact of his deeds will remain unclear. While it seems desirable to think of Snowden as a martyr for democracy, it is also possible that his motives could be to do harm to the United States government, or to sell secrets to the Chinese.
Currently, he is hiding in Hong Kong, or he has at least disappeared. His whereabouts and fate remained unknown.
Back at home, Booz Allen Hamilton and its shareholders can expect rough times ahead.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Human Dignity and Culture: Time for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?