Mitt Romney becomes victim of IRS leak
Private donation made by Romney revealed by IRS insider.
Mitt Romney may now the latest and most high-profile victim of IRS misconduct to date. It is now suspected that someone in the IRS intentionally leaked information about a confidential donor to the Romney campaign.
The issue stems from an online post made on March 30 by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) on their website. The pro-homosexual lobby group boasted it received copies of documents which showed that Romney contributed $10,000 to the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) in 2008.
NOM argued to the Inspector General that the release of such confidential information is a breech of applicable law.
The IRS is required to keep such information confidential, which means that someone within the IRS deliberately leaked the info to the HRC.
Tax-exempt organizations are required to file with the IRS a list of their major donors who contribute $5,000 or more. According to records, Romney gave $10,000 in 2008. However, those contributions are to be kept confidential by the IRS.
According to NOM, somebody within the IRS obtained a copy of the schedule B form where these contributions are listed and leaked a copy.
NOM is now asking for the matter to be investigated, the documents to be removed from online, and for the source of the leak to be named. They are also threatening legal action while spurring the Inspector General to investigate.
The IRS has been hit by scandal recently as it was revealed that since 2010 the agency has conducted targeted harassment of conservative groups and individuals.
Now it would see that Mitt Romney has joined the unfortunate list of victims.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- First medical doctor in Texas suspended under new abortion law
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?