Mitt Romney becomes victim of IRS leak
Private donation made by Romney revealed by IRS insider.
Mitt Romney may now the latest and most high-profile victim of IRS misconduct to date. It is now suspected that someone in the IRS intentionally leaked information about a confidential donor to the Romney campaign.
The issue stems from an online post made on March 30 by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) on their website. The pro-homosexual lobby group boasted it received copies of documents which showed that Romney contributed $10,000 to the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) in 2008.
NOM argued to the Inspector General that the release of such confidential information is a breech of applicable law.
The IRS is required to keep such information confidential, which means that someone within the IRS deliberately leaked the info to the HRC.
Tax-exempt organizations are required to file with the IRS a list of their major donors who contribute $5,000 or more. According to records, Romney gave $10,000 in 2008. However, those contributions are to be kept confidential by the IRS.
According to NOM, somebody within the IRS obtained a copy of the schedule B form where these contributions are listed and leaked a copy.
NOM is now asking for the matter to be investigated, the documents to be removed from online, and for the source of the leak to be named. They are also threatening legal action while spurring the Inspector General to investigate.
The IRS has been hit by scandal recently as it was revealed that since 2010 the agency has conducted targeted harassment of conservative groups and individuals.
Now it would see that Mitt Romney has joined the unfortunate list of victims.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?