Schumer: 'The president has confidence in Holder and I believe he's going to stay'
Third-ranking senator in the Democratic leadership is confident attorney general did nothing wrong
"I haven't seen anything that would prevent him from continuing to do his job," Sen. Chuck Schumer (Dem - N.Y.), the third-ranking senator in the Democratic leadership told NBC's David Gregory. "The president has confidence in Holder and I believe he's going to stay," Schumer said. His appearance on "Meet the Press" discussed the current controversy surrounding the Justice Department. He was on hand to detail provisions of his legislation that would offer greater protections to the press.
"I haven't seen anything that would prevent him from continuing to do his job," Sen. Chuck Schumer (Dem - N.Y.), the third-ranking senator in the Democratic leadership told NBC's David Gregory.
In regards to the Rosen case, Schumer said, "I don't think there's perjury" in what Holder told the House Judiciary Committee last month when the attorney general said that he doubted it would "wise policy" to prosecute news media organizations for publishing classified information in the national security leaks case.
Holder also said in that testimony that "the focus should be on those people who break their oaths and put the American people at risk, not reporters who gather this information."
In Holder's defense, Schumer pointed out that there has been no attempted prosecution of Rosen and any other journalist.
Some Republican lawmakers have asked whether Holder misled the House committee, because Rosen had been named a co-conspirator in an investigation of State Department leaks.
Commenting on "Meet the Press" House Intelligence Committee Chairman Rep. Mike Rogers said, "I think that dragnet they threw out over those AP reporters was more than an over-reach-and it really is not very good investigative work," adding that a good investigation would have narrowed the list of targeted reporters, the Michigan Republican said.
A former FBI agent, Rogers also stressed that "these leaks are serious and for those folks (in the executive branch) who are leaking information that may lead to the death of sources, or of people who are cooperating with the United States, or men and women who serving in combat -there should be consequences for that."
Rogers said "this pattern of deception administration-wide is starting to become concerning," referring to the Internal Revenue Service's scrutiny of conservative groups, the administration's explanation of the attacks on a U.S. diplomatic facility in Benghazi last year, and the AP probe, Rogers said the administration risked losing Americans' trust in their government.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Keywords: Sen. Chuck Schumer,
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?