Tea Party, conservative groups sue IRS, Obama administration, Holder
'Americans are not going to be bullied and intimidated by our government'
"The lawsuit sends a very powerful message to the IRA and the Obama Administration - including the White House," Jay Sekulow, chief counsel of the American Center for Law and Justice declares. "Americans are not going to be bullied and intimidated by our government." Twenty-five conservative and Tea Party groups have filed suit against the Internal Revenue Service, Attorney General Eric Holder and top IRS officials. The groups allege that the Obama administration unlawfully targeted them due to their political beliefs and obstructed their applications for tax-exempt status.
"The lawsuit sends a very powerful message to the IRA and the Obama Administration - including the White House," Jay Sekulow, chief counsel of the American Center for Law and Justice declares. "Americans are not going to be bullied and intimidated by our government."
The suit asks for a declaration that the defendants, including Lois Lerner, director of exempt organizations for the IRS, "unlawfully delayed and obstructed" applications for tax-exempt status.
The lawsuit also asks for monetary damages, protection for the plaintiffs from further IRS targeting. It requests tax-exempt status for 10 of the conservative groups, with applications still outstanding.
Listing 25 plaintiffs, the center adds that more were likely to be added to the lawsuit. Thirteen of the plaintiffs have now received tax-exempt status, and two have withdrawn their applications. The plaintiffs applied for tax-exempt status between 2009 and 2011.
The White House has maintained that it was unaware of the targeting. President Barack Obama claims that he only learned of the issue when news of the IG's report broke.
The currently suspended director of the Exempt Organizations department at the IRS, Lois Lerner has apologized and said she had learned of the targeting in 2012 when Tea Party groups complained.
Acting IRS Commissioner Steven Miller, who has since resigned, told Congress that the targeting was the result of "foolish mistakes" by lower-level IRS employees. Miller denied that politics or partisanship motivated the people involved. According to the IRS's public statements and testimony, most of the work in question was done by employees at the IRS Exempt Organizations Determinations Unit in Cincinnati, Ohio.
It has since been learned that requests for information about the groups came from other local offices and IRS headquarters in Washington. Sekulow previously had provided some of the letters to NBC News, and on Wednesday made them available to the public. At least one letter requesting information about the Ohio Liberty Council bears the stamped signature of Lerner.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Human Dignity and Culture: Time for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?