Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
Congress is seeking to find answers to the scandal.
A top IRS official under intense scrutiny said she will invoke her 5th Amendment protection before she is questioned by Congress about her involvement in the scandal. Lois Lerner is set to face the House Committee on Oversight and Government Affairs, but has warned she will plead the 5th.
Lerner has already retained a defense attorney who notified Congress on Tuesday she would invoke her right to remain silent before Congress. The 5th Amendment allows individuals to be free from providing testimony that might incriminate themselves.
She is being represented by William W. Taylor III.
Her attorney's letter read in part, "has not committed any crime or made any misrepresentation, but under the circumstances she has no choice but to take this course."
Taylor claims the hearings are only designed to embarrass her.
Sorry if the truth is embarrassing, but that's what happens when you break the law.
Several conservative groups and individuals have come forward to share horror stories about how badly they were treated by the IRS, some groups just for applying for non-profit status. The IRS has already said it targeted these groups for extra scrutiny and inundated them with demands for information that were virtually impossible to meet.
Questions asked for synopses of books the members read, the text of speeches delivered, and the names of volunteers.
The IRS even sought to contact group members to ask about their "thoughts."
Such behavior is harassment and illegal as it has nothing to determining whether a group should qualify for a non-profit status.
Learner isn't off the hook entirely. She is under a Congressional subpoena to show up and testify. While she may escape questions that personally incriminate her, she may still have to answer other questions about what she knew.
What investigators are now working to uncover is where the order to scrutinize and harass conservative groups came from and who knew about it. According to the White House, top aides and the Chief of Staff knew about the IRS scandal in April, but said nothing to President Obama --an unlikely scenario.
Obama claims he learned about the scandal from May 10 media reports.
For now, Congress is still investigating the case. The IRS has already admitted wrongdoing. Now it's a question of learning who is responsible for the scandal and providing justice for the people who were relentlessly and wrongly harassed by the IRS.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?