Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
Obama has no authority to override Corps regulations which exist for a purpose.
President Obama, commander-in-chief of the United States armed forces, ordered two United States Marines to violate Corps protocol by making them hold umbrellas over his head during an outdoor event.
Yesterday, during a light sprinkle, Obama ordered two Marines to hold umbrellas over his head and that of the Turkish Prime Minister.
Marine Corps regulation MCO P1020.34F, Chapter 3, does not allow a male Marine to carry an umbrella.
If an item is not explicitly authorized, then it is not permitted. Only Female Marines may carry an umbrella. That regulation, reads, "3035. UMBRELLAS (Female Marines). Female Marines may carry an all-black, plain standard or collapsible umbrella at their option during inclement weather with the service and dress uniforms. It will be carried in the left hand so that the hand salute can be properly rendered. Umbrellas may not be used/carried in formation nor will they be carried with the utility uniform."
Furthermore, the President himself has no authority to override these regulations.
"The Marine Corps Uniform Regulations, published by the Commandant of the Marine Corps, shall be binding on all Marines. No officer or official shall issue instructions which conflict with, alter, or amend any provision without the approval of the Commandant of the Marine Corps," MCM section 2806 paragraph 2.
Despite this, there seems to be a popular perception that the President can just change the regulations as he sees fit. This is the problem with the Obama administration entire. Obama has no regard for the rules. This is evident in his flagrant abuse of executive privilege, his insistence on ramrodding unpopular legislation through Congress, and using more executive orders when he is stopped, and so on.
His disregard is evident in the corruption and scandals that are finally seeing the light of day.
Obama could have used aides to hold the umbrellas, or moved his speech indoors. Alternatively, he could have dealt with the sprinkles like a man.
Marines who protect the president are volunteers on world display. They are the military face of our nation. Their regulations ensure they show the proper decorum and attitude the rest of the world needs to see. They do not smile. Their uniforms are perfect. Every step and move they make is disciplined and polished. They are not wait staff for the President, but bodyguards whose primary purpose is to kill anyone who would attempt to harm the president or the seals of his office.
This is another sign that it's time for Obama to resign and spare the Corps and the nation the further indignity of his corruption and disrespect.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?