Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
Move is a counter to Congressional hearings.
Obama called on Congress Thursday, asking them to give him more money so he can improve security at embassies around the world. This call to action comes amid congressional investigations into what happened in Benghazi and if Obama was remiss in taking steps that could have saved American lives.
"I'm calling on Congress to work with us and support and fully fund our budget request. We need to come together and truly honor the sacrifices."
He also asked for Congress to increase the number of Marines posted to guard the embassies.
Oddly, one would think this is his duty as commander in chief, to assign additional security to U.S. missions in troubled spots.
Obama made his call for more money and more Marines during a Rose Garden meeting with Turkey's Prime Minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Obama and Edrogan discussed the situation in Syria and the importance of taking more action to prevent the spillover of violence into Turkey and to resolve the conflict that has claimed nearly 100,000 lives.
Obama also talked about his aggressive pursuit of an internal leak. Last week, his administration seized two months of phone records covering more than 100 Associated Press journalists. The move has been criticized as overbroad and scandalous.
Obama claimed his actions were only to protect national security and American lives.
"I make no apologies" Obama said about the investigation. "Leaks related to national security can put people at risk. They can put men and women that I have sent into the battlefield at risk."
At least he now acknowledges that he's the one putting those lives at risk.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?