Obama campaign co-chair singled out Romney with leaked IRS documents
Left-wing activist Joe Solmonese used document to show Romney contributions
According to the National Organization for Marriage, Joe Solmonese, one of President Barack Obama's re-election campaign co-chairmen used a leaked document from the IRS to attack GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney during the 2012 election. A pro-traditional marriage organization, the organization claims the IRS leaked their 2008 confidential financial documents to the rival Human Rights Campaign.
Joe Solmonese, one of President Barack Obama's re-election campaign co-chairmen used a leaked document from the IRS to attack GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney during the 2012 election.
Both the Huffington Post's Sam Stein and HRC described the leak as coming from a "whistleblower." The newspaper then used the document to write a story questioning former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney's support for traditional marriage, showing the candidate donated $10,000 to NOM.
Solmonese, then still the HRC's president, declared that Romney's "funding of a hate-filled campaign designed to drive a wedge between Americans is beyond despicable.
"Not only has Romney signed NOM's radical marriage pledge, now we know he's one of the donors that NOM has been so desperate to keep secret all these years," Solmonese added.
Solmonese then immediately resigned his position the following day and took up a position as an Obama campaign co-chair. He had announced the then-pending resignation from HRC the previous autumn.
Springing into action, NOM has announced that it will sue the IRS for this alleged leak. Under immense political pressure, Attorney General Eric Holder launched a criminal investigation into the IRS's actions. Congress will conduct its own investigation.
"It is shocking that a political ally of President Obama's would come to possess and then publicly release a confidential tax return that came directly from the Internal Revenue Service," NOM president Brian Brown declared. "We demand to know who is responsible for this criminal act and what the Administration is going to do to get to the bottom of it."
"The American people are entitled to know how a confidential tax return containing private donor information filed exclusively with the Internal Revenue Service has been given to our political opponents whose leader also happens to be co-chairing President Obama's reelection committee," Brown said.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?