Engulfed in scandal, A THIRD of committees in House of Representatives investigating Obama administration
Benghazi, IRS investigations and leak of classified information assail president
When it rains, it pours. Re-elected by a wide majority of the U.S. electorate, President Barack Obama is seemingly beset on three sides by swelling scandals and ongoing controversies. The 2012 terror attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, accusations that the Internal Revenue Service targeted conservative non-profit groups and the leakage of classified information finds Obama under the gun.
Obama press secretary Jay Carney, in front of some antagonistic members of the press could only claim the White House was ignorant - or blame Republicans for the deep water the Obama administration has found itself in.
Carney maintains that the Benghazi question is politically motivated and is fueled by House Speaker John Boehner, whom he accused of being "obsessed" with the topic.
Carney bristled at a question about whether it was fair to draw comparisons between the administration's responses and those during the Nixon administration, bemoaning "the rapid politicization of everything.
"I can tell you that the people who make those kinds of comparisons need to check their history," Carney said, "Because, you know, what we have here with one issue - Benghazi - is so clearly, as we're learning more and more, a political sideshow. A deliberate effort to politicize a tragedy.
"If you look at the facts, and I think Benghazi is instructive on this, the real issue is that four Americans died," he said.
The Department of Justice's Attorney General Eric Holder, is currently under immense pressure following revelations that it secretly collected logs of phone calls made to, and by, AP reporters.
In an attempt to assure the U.S. public, President Barack Obama has said those responsible for any improper scrutiny of conservative groups' tax status would be held "fully accountable."
The Benghazi political melee had its beginnings in the Obama administration's tale, after the bloodbath in Libya, that an unplanned demonstration over an anti-Islam YouTube video, "The Innocence of Muslims" had sparked the attack.
Both Obama and Clinton referred to the video in public comments during the week following the attack, and United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice blamed it for the attack five separate times on Sunday talk shows.
The fact that the Benghazi attack was a terrorist assault carried out by extremists including those from the al-Qaeda-affiliated Ansar al-Sharia, emerged later. More recently was evidence that a talking points memo prepared by the CIA for members of Congress went through a dozen edits, including some directed by the State Department, which removed all references to terrorism.
But the IRS and AP tempests brought a refrain from Carney, which he cited in some form more than a half-dozen times during his 50-minute press availability, which the White House knew nothing at all and therefore wouldn't comment.
"I cannot, and he [Obama] cannot comment specifically on an ongoing criminal investigation," he would say repeatedly. "It would be wholly inappropriate."
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?